Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Dyna is going Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013 | 11:32 PM
Dyna_Bagger85
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by HYPR
If you were going with a FLHX fender you can stretch it out from tightening the mounting bolts in the fender mounting straps which is what I did. Keep in mind that the FXDF wider by .75".
Bob
How wide was the FLHX fender before you stretched it out and how does it look after? Can you provide a rear facing picture?

Old 05-22-2013 | 11:36 PM
DM1975
Road Captain

Originally Posted by aviator
looks good, reminds me of a 3/4 sized Road King.
That extra 5" in the Road King sure shows huh?

Of course that's just the difference in the length of the rear fender. That Dyna has a wider wheel base.

Last edited by DM1975; 05-22-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2013 | 06:21 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

I was told by many, many people selling their touring fenders off the newer (08'+) touring bikes that the rear fender is 9"+ wide, this is why I stopped searching for the new touring fenders, because it shouldn't fit between the Street Bob's struts (I measured 8.5" at the most narrow point) , I don't know about the fit between the Wide Glide and Fat Bob Struts.

Anyways, here are some links to the fender I was refering to.
8.625" fender for the 08'and newer Touring bikes.
7.125" stock touring pre 08' fender and the 8.25" for the pre 08' touring bikes with the 180 kit.

Last edited by blueangel73; 06-11-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2013 | 07:18 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

I've got on '03 WideGlide. I have also ridden an Ultra for several days, and there is a lot of difference in general between the 2. I have a fiberglass tourpak wannabe I occasionally use on the WG along with bags, a shield and footboards, all which make it very usable as a touring bike. I have gone on long trips loaded down, but the difference in the ride between a true bagger and a Dyna bagger is still substantial. BTW I am running Progressive 430's a far cry better shock than the stock shocks....I love my Dyna, but if I was going to buy a bike right now it would be a true bagger.

Modding your bike is a personal choice, make it like you want it, screw the labels. The thing I love most about my Dyna is the fact that within a few minutes I can transform my WG to many differing looks. But I would like to pick up a used bike I could just 'do my thing' with........

Keep up the great work there guys!

Old 05-23-2013 | 08:57 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

Originally Posted by HYPR
Gaffy,
Perhaps I can provide some insight to this build because I ended up doing the same. When I bought my Fat Bob I had not planned on doing more than short rides however quickly found I went right back to doing 200-300 miles at a clip through canyons and such so something had to change.
If you ride the RG and the Dyna in the same day on the same roads the answer is quite clear. The Dyna has far better street and canyon manners then the touring bike. In addition the around town advantages are significant being much lighter.
Now am I saying that the Dyna Bagger will be equal to the Touring Bagger on long rides? No way, however it will bridge the gap extremely well with the proper suspension improvements.
Bob
I hear what you are saying and it kinda makes sense if its a hybrid you're after. Someone posted it's a shame HD don't do a Dyna Bagger - well I seem to remember they did and owning one, it was a Dyna Convertible I've included a picture :-) Seems folks are just replicating that

Attached Thumbnails My Dyna is going Bagger-harley-2-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-23-2013 | 09:38 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

That comment was tongue in cheek. They make one now called a switchback.

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:43 AM
mcdanielgtmo
2nd Gear

Good Luck. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Old 05-23-2013 | 10:02 AM
Dyna_Bagger85
|
Road Master

I know the Switchback is supposed to be Harley's Dyna bagger. But I paid my bike off a year early and the wife is a stay at home mom and goes to school full time so a new bike is definitely not in the budget right now. I just think it will be a fun project to make a one off Dyna that I can be like "Yeah, I built that". Always wanted to build a custom bike after watching what my dad has done and now is my chance. Why not give the ol' Street Bob a face lift and have a little self satisfaction.

The following users liked this post:
Lu (05-24-2020)
Old 05-23-2013 | 10:06 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey I think your idea is bitchen and I can't wait to see how it comes out.

Old 05-23-2013 | 01:06 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
Hey I think your idea is bitchen and I can't wait to see how it comes out.
are you talking about those ugly dynas with full fenders and 70s style 5 spoke craiger looking rims ?

Quick Reply: My Dyna is going Bagger