Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

baffled by baffles - opinions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default baffled by baffles - opinions wanted!

I'm looking to liven up the sound of my bike, and on the cheap.

I'm looking at a pair of V&H straightshot slip-ons but I really think I'm going to need quieter baffles for the in the city...

I've seen a lot of posts about V&H quiet baffles and QQs and others

Can anyone recommend a set, and a good place to buy from?

Cheers
D!

Old 05-10-2013, 03:39 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My first bit of knowledge I will steer you away from wasting money on slip on mufflers. So cheap won't work for you unless you modify the baffles you already have. but I have to say save your money until you can get something good like a supertrapp supermeg 2/1. great power and torque and quiet enough for any time of day or night. Even passed an officer today who was just standing outside his vehicle appraising traffic and he actually gave me a nod of approval, unless he was G-A-Y in that case well I'm still glad he didn't stop me! lol But enough about that, soon you will have 14,000 opinions coming at you from this forum!

Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,608 Likes on 848 Posts

I've got the stock headers with V&H slipons and the quiet baffles on my '07 streetbob. The quiet baffles make it a little quieter, but they're still loud. They also make the pipes lower pitched in sound, which also makes them sound a little quieter. They also slow the flow down a little, which helps the low end torque.

Pertaining to Maddghost's post: a 2 into 1 will make the most power and torque, no doubt about it. On the other hand, my understanding is that using the stock headers with slip on mufflers will usually give you more torque and horsepower over the average aftermarket two into two system. I've read this enough times from people with engineering and mechanical backgrounds that I tend to believe it. These same people usually have no vested interest in selling one system over another.

With my slipons, free flowing intake, Andrews48 cams, and a tune, I'm making between 95 and 101 ftlbs tq from 2,200 to 4,500 rpm, so I'm satisfied with my slipons.

Crazy

Last edited by Crazy; 05-10-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:35 PM
mcwarren
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the V&H Straight Shots slip-ons on my 2010 FXDC and while I loved the appearance, they were too loud for my taste. I then installed the V&H quiet baffles and while the tone was deeper and possibly a little quieter it still wasn't what I wanted. I then installed Hard Kore Baffles ( http://www.smartpartz.com/ ) along with the V&H quiet baffles and I really like this set up. Check out

Last edited by mcwarren; 05-10-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 PM
FXDTom
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the baffles on my staggered short shots to the quiet baffles. Huge difference! low meaty growl!

Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master

appreciate the input fellas

i'm not too worried about a big performance boost right now - just looking to change it up on the cheap, figure i could resell 'em for not much less than i paid (i got a good price)

the v&H quiet baffles are on their way! thanks again

Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Robbysride
Tourer

I have the exact same setup as your looking at. I live in the city and wasn't wanting to **** of the neighbors so I got the quiet baffles too. They aren't quiet. But they sound great.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:10 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

If you stay away from Vancouver downtown and UBC, you will be fine. If the cops want to test your sound level, any after market exhaust will fail, even VH quiet baffles.
My exhaust is loud as hell, never had a problem in Vancouver coz I am not a downtown poser.
You can listen to my exhaust on youtube, I modified it half VH stock + BCT, love the sound.

Originally Posted by iDodgimus
I'm looking to liven up the sound of my bike, and on the cheap.

I'm looking at a pair of V&H straightshot slip-ons but I really think I'm going to need quieter baffles for the in the city...

I've seen a lot of posts about V&H quiet baffles and QQs and others

Can anyone recommend a set, and a good place to buy from?

Cheers
D!