Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossbones Air Cleaner Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation Crossbones Air Cleaner Cover?

Any issues using the Xbones cover or the one I linked with a round SE or Ness Stage 1 backing plate? I wouldn't think so, but not sure what the clearance or filter coverage is like, having never mocked one up.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...04-61300128--1

Probably a silly question but it's been on my mind. I ride in all kinds of weather, and the exposed filter always looking like **** is getting on my nerves.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

I have the Ness Big Sucker 2 (big *** filter) on my bike and the Crossbones AC coverwas the only black cover I could find that didn't break the bank and fits. I have had no issues other than getting used to how far it sticks out compaired to the stock filter.

Here is a side view of the cover.

Last edited by blueangel73; 05-09-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I have the Ness Big Sucker 2 (big *** filter) on my bike and the Crossbones AC coverwas the only black cover I could find that didn't break the bank and fits. I have had no issues other than getting used to how far it sticks out compaired to the stock filter.

Hey that's awesome of you to post a pic, I really appreciate that. It looks perfect for what I want to do...sticking out a little further compared to just the filter element is fine with me if it cuts back on the maintenance and looks of a weathered filter after a few days on the road.

I'll keep the current cover to swap in for bike nights.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Yea, I had the BS2 kit laying around for about a year after I got a great deal on it from an indy that had to close his doors. I needed to order new breather bolts for it and spent a long time looking for a cover I liked and could afford before I put it all together. I didn't want to deal with the rain and cleaning issue, my bike lives outside and spend much of its time under a cover when parked. Sometimes I am not able to get the cover on before a big storm and she get soaked, but never had a problem with water getting into the system so the cover does its job there.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea, I had the BS2 kit laying around for about a year after I got a great deal on it from an indy that had to close his doors. I needed to order new breather bolts for it and spent a long time looking for a cover I liked and could afford before I put it all together. I didn't want to deal with the rain and cleaning issue, my bike lives outside and spend much of its time under a cover when parked. Sometimes I am not able to get the cover on before a big storm and she get soaked, but never had a problem with water getting into the system so the cover does its job there.
That's part of it for me as well...I plan on moving to the N. VA area at some point during the summer, and a garage or carport might not be an option. If she's gonna have to start sleeping outside then the exposed element is really impractical.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 AM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How deep is that cover? My street bob came with the round chrome cover and it doesn't fit with the fuel moto ac. I cut a little bit of it where it hits the backing plate to make it fit, but it seems like I can't snug it up tight enough and it just want's to spin and come loose.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tfalcon
How deep is that cover? My street bob came with the round chrome cover and it doesn't fit with the fuel moto ac. I cut a little bit of it where it hits the backing plate to make it fit, but it seems like I can't snug it up tight enough and it just want's to spin and come loose.
I will try and get you an answer later today. I want to say its 2" deep, but I am not positive, could be shallower by maybe .25-.50". So somewhere between 1.5"-2", pretty positive it's not more.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I used the chrome version of this for many years and over 50,000 miles. Rode in lots of rain including some serious down pours. Never a problem.
The bottom is open only so the filter is well protected. When I changed cams I added a washer behind the cover which pushed the cover out slightly and allowing a little more air to be accessed.
it was the only one that has never got in the way of my leg.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

I thought the Crossbones cover was solid all the way around?

The one I linked in the first post definitely has a cutaway on one side.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For what its worth, I know DK makes a AC cover like that as well.

Quick Reply: Crossbones Air Cleaner Cover?