Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel choices for 2012 FatBob

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 PM
dr0
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel choices for 2012 FatBob

I'm the proud new owner of a 2012 Fat Bob.

I really like this bike a lot, but right from when I was looking at it on the showroom floor I've had the idea of running a bigger wheel in front. I really like the way that Superglide looks, it's just totally classic. What's different on the Fat Bob I mostly like a lot: the wider forks, the dual-headlight, the blackout engine. I even like the rear mag wheel, but I just don't like the 16/16 look on the Dyna. (Looks better on a Softail, in my opinion.)

There are a few ways I could go. One would be to buy new front and back wheels, so the pattern matches. I like the PM machine wheels. They suggested 18" rear to go with a 19" front. I see 18" rear is very common now.

What do people see as the advantages of the 16" vs. 17" vs 18" rear for a bike like the Fat Bob? I think the 16 still looks really tough and classic. All that rubber. Low profile tires are for sport bikes!

If I decide to go with just leaving the stock rear 16" on there and finding a mag that compliments it, what fits? Harley has a six-spoke wheel I kinda like. Can that wheel be fitted to the Fat Bob?

If I get a PM wheel do I have to get PM rotors or can I keep the stock Harley brake setup. I'd rather not spend money to replace perfectly fine working stuff. PM has "polished" finish, which would more or less match the rear wheel finish. I'm ok with the different patterns. The old Softail Custom had a solid mag rear and spoke front for about a decade and I always liked the look.

Any other suggestions for getting to the 16/19 setup in a reasonable way would be appreciated. Or strong arguments that I should go 17/19 or 18/19.

Thanks! Great place y'all got here!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:34 AM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went back and forth on wheel size choices for a while. The thing about Fat Bobs is the lack of rake. They just dont look right with a big wheel up front. Of course you could get trees with rake built in but now youre talking about a lot more money and really changing the handling characteristics. I ended up getting 18s front and rear. And the tire and wheel combo overall diameter didnt change by much so not other mods were needed. You should check out Sourhern Motorcycle Works. Really nice wheels and good prices.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by spankdog
I went back and forth on wheel size choices for a while. The thing about Fat Bobs is the lack of rake. They just dont look right with a big wheel up front. Of course you could get trees with rake built in but now youre talking about a lot more money and really changing the handling characteristics. I ended up getting 18s front and rear. And the tire and wheel combo overall diameter didnt change by much so not other mods were needed. You should check out Sourhern Motorcycle Works. Really nice wheels and good prices.
All very true. I am looking to swap my WG trees for a set from a Fatbob if anyone knows anyone...Just saying...

Old 05-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

You can run stock rotors on a PM wheel. But you cannot run PM rotors on a stock wheel. As far as sizing, go as big as you want. I always get as big as will fit with the fender I have. Considering you have dual disc rotors in the front, half the wheel will be blocked by the rotor and if you run stock rotors that will really detract from the looks of the wheel.

I'd do both wheels on a bike that has no saddlebags or at least powder coat or chrome the rear to match the finish on the front wheel for some continuity. Pm stuff is great but it takes a while to be made. Usually 4-6 weeks. There are lots of other wheel companies out there that make great products as well. Check out Renegade, Colorado Customs, RC Components, RSD, etc.

I Sell all these wheels at a discount daily so don't buy direct unless you want to pay full price.

If you have questions please ask away. Wheels is what we do at HogPro.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:29 PM
dr0
Novice

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
All very true. I am looking to swap my WG trees for a set from a Fatbob if anyone knows anyone...Just saying...
Have you calculated the effect on the trail? The offset on the WG trees is an important mod. If you run a lot of rake in the frame without offsets your trail numbers get out of wack.

Here is a good explanation.

http://rawge.bravepages.com/minichop...Rake_Trail.htm

Apologies in advance if I'm telling you stuff you already know cold.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dr0
Have you calculated the effect on the trail? The offset on the WG trees is an important mod. If you run a lot of rake in the frame without offsets your trail numbers get out of wack.

Here is a good explanation.

http://rawge.bravepages.com/minichop...Rake_Trail.htm

Apologies in advance if I'm telling you stuff you already know cold.
It has been done. I want a little less rake. It should work out perfect...

Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 PM
dr0
Novice

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
It has been done. I want a little less rake. It should work out perfect...
Rake is cool, when you want it. I've got a 40* chopper build half done w/ a Paughco springer. When I went to buy a stock Harley for every-day riding I wanted a lot less, thus the Fat Bob.

Hope the mod works well. That Red pickup truck is really nice looking. What year is it? Mid-60s Chevy? Love the color.

Thanks for the response!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 PM
dr0
Novice

Your bike looks great. I don't consider a 19" a big wheel. It's been the standard wheel size on Sportsters and Dyna's forever, so it looks "normal" to me.

I"m starting to come around on the 18" rear. Yours sure looks nice. But the 16" back / 19" front is still very classic. Here is the mother of all Dyna's: the 1991 Sturgis, the first Harley that had the Dyna frame:

It's a 16/19 bike.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:52 PM
dr0
Novice

. You should check out Sourhern Motorcycle Works. Really nice wheels and good prices.
No **** dude! Thanks!! They have a full set of polished wheels with matching rotors and sproket (or whatever it is for belts) for about the price of one Performance Machine wheel. ($1200.)

Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 AM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dr0
No **** dude! Thanks!! They have a full set of polished wheels with matching rotors and sproket (or whatever it is for belts) for about the price of one Performance Machine wheel. ($1200.)
Yup. Their prices are great and quality is top notch.

Quick Reply: Wheel choices for 2012 FatBob