Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyna wide tire kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:52 AM
baxter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna wide tire kit?

im lowering the rear end of my bike and ive been wanting that wider tire on the rear. harley charges 269.95 for the kit. ive looked up the tire alone and its around 170 price range. whats included or needed that validates them charging so much more money for a rear tire? Does anyone have a better tire suggestion? and can i possibly just buy the parts needed seperatley to accomadate the wider tire? if this is the best way to go about it then ill do it but if the tire isnt worth it and i can get something better for the same price or less then id rather do that.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:40 AM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser
Default RE: dyna wide tire kit?

I don't know what is included in the deal but it seems pretty fair to me (considering the exhorbitant prices on some H-D stuff). I saw it in the catalog and have made up my mind that when it's time to replace that back tire, I'm just going to go ahead and get that Harley kit. I haven't read the description in the catalog recently and right now the catalog is loaned out. I would imagine that there would have to be some spacers and such to make this all work out. From what I remember it said that the engine/tranny would not have to be moved to make it possible to put the wider tire on. I remember a few years ago when that was the only way to do it. Lot's of guessing and trying and adjusting to get those old options to work out sometimes. At least with this kit it should be a simple swap out of parts. Of course, starting with the '06 model year (mine) I noticed that Harley has made sure some things that were really easy to work on now need a lot of specialty tools to get the job done. Personally though I would just go ahead and go with the kit. I know I will.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:29 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you are ready to buy, check Ebay. I have seen the kits less than $200 there.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:55 AM
ULTRA Gramps
Outstanding HDF Member

I heard you can just put a 180 on, no extra kit?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:48 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,119 Likes on 357 Posts

do a search on this forum, this has been talked about before. But...fro what I remember, the kit comes woth some brackets to move the turn signal wiring and such. But as I remember you can throw a 180 on it without any other modifications. I think the consensus was you dont need the kit.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:52 AM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DYNA Gramps

I heard you can just put a 180 on, no extra kit?
Don't buy the kit - its not needed. If you have a detachable accessory kit for a sissy bar, rack, etc; the work is already done for you. All you need to do is make sure the bolt ends towards the rear of the fender clear the tire and your wiring is tucked tight. You may need to shave the bolts for more clearance; easy enough to do. I looked at the kit prior to buying my tire (during my dealer's 20% off sale) when I was down in Huntsville last year - absolute joke; 2 tin supports, a couple shorter bolts and zip ties.

If you must buy the kit - get it from Zanottis; will typically save you 20% and they are genuine HD parts - they make their moey on sheer volume of sales and are awesome to deal with. Or, you can send me the money and I can spend it for you!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/11891/9D64759B855D496C93606AF45C85FA2A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-19-2007, 11:03 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just added the 180 tire and did not get the kit. I also saved enough by ordering the tire from Zanottis that the difference paid for me to have a local shop mount my tire for me. I just added a set of Low Rider shocks to my 06 Super Glide and I dont have any clearence issues. So,.... bottom line is that you dont need the wide tire kit,.... but just make sure your wire are all tucked in neatly and not just hanging loose, which is something you should do regularly even with the OEM 160 rear tire.

John

Old 02-19-2007, 11:12 AM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

Zanottis rules!!! They have an incredible communication system. Been getting a box from Butler, PA about every other week lately, much to my wife's dismay :-). Fixin' to order the new Dyna oil cooler;HD catalog price $297, $270 at my dealer w/ loyalty discount, $233 at Zanottis. Even after shipping and handling I save $$$... it costs me $10 in gas to drive to the nearest dealership...

Old 02-19-2007, 11:18 AM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

To further support the waste of money in regards to the kit, you'll notice that jbear's awesome red SG has the stock side plate set up...mine has the detach accessory kit - both work w/o the kit!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:32 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

boogiewithtuck,

Yeah,... I just ordered me the detachable sideplates, docking kit, and turn signal kit, "not relocoation kit", from Zanottis earlier. I had bought me a new Kuryakyn Full Dresser sissy bar bag and since its so roomyI dont plan on getting any saddle bags now since that bag has plenty of room for any trips that I will make. So I just decided to get the detachable sideplates and kit for Dynas without saddlebags, since I just bought me a new H-D Badlander seat for just around town and such, and figured it would look a lil better without the sissy bar and luggage rack on with the Badlander seat. Funny thing is the wife just cant understand me buying things that are just for the cool look,... she is totally in the mindset that if its not for function and comfort it aint needed,......LOL

John

Quick Reply: dyna wide tire kit?