Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel crossover line after 3" tank lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 04:45 PM
typicaldenimbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel crossover line after 3" tank lift

I just installed a 3" tank lift and was able to get it finished in about 10 mins. The only snag I encountered was the fuel crossover line. I really wanted to avoid changing it out mainly because I didn't want to deal with draining the tank and spilling gasoline all over my garage or driveway. Now, although the lift is on, the line is kinda tightly stretched across the frame. I've got about a 1/4 tank of fuel left and haven't encountered any problems so i'm thinking the line isn't pinched or anything. I'm wondering if any of you guys have any thoughts or opinions on this. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:13 PM
byrdman.45
Road Captain
Received 314 Likes on 146 Posts

I'd change it so there was some slack in it. If it breaks or pulls loose You're going to have a mess. If it should leak or break while riding the fuel will probably land on the exhaust or some other ignition source and ignite the fuel. The 3 inch lifts I've seen all came with a new hose. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Dead Creek Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just be sure that the tension in the crossover line isn't putting too much pressure on the nipples on the underside of the tank where they connect. Those can be bent fairly easily if there's too much pressure on them. Keep in mind you'll have some vibration when the bike is running so make sure nothing will rub anywhere.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Dead Creek Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by byrdman.45
I'd change it so there was some slack in it. If it breaks or pulls loose You're going to have a mess. If it should leak or break while riding the fuel will probably land on the exhaust or some other ignition source and ignite the fuel. The 3 inch lifts I've seen all came with a new hose. Good luck.

Exactly, that's why we include new hoses with our kits. Replacing it with a longer one is just cheap insurance from having an issue.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, man switch em out. I put a 3'' on mine and I'm glad I did. Its really not too hard, just run the bike down to nearly an empty tank and keep something handy nearby to catch the extra gas. I ran a new line with just about an inch of play under it for all the purposes mentioned above.
Good luck and enjoy, tank lifts are badass.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The key to cutting that cross over is 2 pairs of vise grips. Pinch off the line in 2 places, on each side of the tank. After syphoning off as much fuel as possible, simply cut the line in the middle, run a tube from the lines, release vise grips, one at a time, and drain the rest into a container, again from each side, then you can reinstall a longer line. Minimal spillage.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Post some pics of that lift, three inch that's quite a tank lift!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:18 PM
typicaldenimbob
Cruiser

There's a pic of the lift... I think it worked. Anyway I'll take everyone's advice and instal the longer crossover line first thing in the morning, better safe than sorry. I think once I install the burley slammer kit next weekend it will really accentuate the tank lift!

Attached Thumbnails Fuel crossover line after 3" tank lift-image.jpg  
Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 PM
FXDTom
Cruiser

Looks pretty sweet!!!! Im debating on adding a lift to mine...

Old 04-20-2013, 11:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I did a 1.75 inch lift on my with my own hardware and the existing crossover line was fine. I did a 1/4 in. lift on the rear. Looks good to me.

Quick Reply: Fuel crossover line after 3" tank lift