Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True track didnt fix wobble

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:03 AM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default True track didnt fix wobble

So I thought the true track would fix the wobble at high speed and it seems it did but i have also experienced a slight wobble when powering out of right hand sweepers. Thought that would have been fixed but It's still there. Im convinced I just need to tweek alignment or pressure in the tires but since I was bored and hit up some you tube videos I got to thinking. Has Harley ever acknowledged the issue of the wobble on the rubber mounted bikes? I couldnt find anything on their site but there are tons of videos and articles on the net attesting to the existence of wobble. I would assume the MoCo would have released something on it. If anyone has info on it I'd like to see it.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Check fall away (fork stem bearing adjustment) and swingarm bushings. I had issues with both that led to instability when cornering and at speed.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 AM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr764
So I thought the true track would fix the wobble at high speed and it seems it did but i have also experienced a slight wobble when powering out of right hand sweepers. Thought that would have been fixed but It's still there. Im convinced I just need to tweek alignment or pressure in the tires but since I was bored and hit up some you tube videos I got to thinking. Has Harley ever acknowledged the issue of the wobble on the rubber mounted bikes? I couldnt find anything on their site but there are tons of videos and articles on the net attesting to the existence of wobble. I would assume the MoCo would have released something on it. If anyone has info on it I'd like to see it.
There can be a number of issues still at play here. First step I would call Don at True-Track for adjustment advice. Next, check your fallaway. If it is too loose it will cause exactly the problem you describe.
Next, and this came from Don at TT, check to see if the front tire was mounted incorrectly. To do this look at the ridge at the edge of the rim. The small ridge should be an even distance from the rim edge all around. If not the bead is set incorrectly and the tire is essentually out of round (my problem and a common HD problem). Unfortunately if the front tire has more the 1000 miles on it then it will have already begun to cup or scallop which will cause wobble problems to become worse and worse as time goes on. The only cure is replacing this front tire.
Next is alignment which apparently is a common problem where the rear is not aligned correctly causing precisely your symptom (this will also cause the front tire to cup/scallop).
Also have the rear swingarm bushings checked.
Bob

Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 AM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

The owner of this Dyna spent some time looking for the source of his "wobble" before he found this..You are going to hear a bunch of things to check I'm sure but hey,check em all ya know.Other things I've read are things like setting your rear shocks to the firmest setting and different fork oil in the front.Hope you find it.

Last edited by HrdNox; 04-02-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

also check the motor mounts

Old 04-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Slvr764
Cruiser

Yea thanks but I wasnt really looking for suggestions on things I have already checked just info on what the MoCo knows about the issue and what their stance on it is.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I doubt their ever going to address anything about their money saving design. If you have a rubber mounted engine and mount a swing arm to it the rear tire is going to move independently from the frame and your going to experience wobble

Old 04-02-2013, 07:01 AM
CADguy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your definition of "High speed" that you are experiencing this wobble? 70? 80? 100?

Chances are is you will not get an answer from the MOCO, because they will state at the posted speed limit they do not experience this wobble. I have had my WG wobble at high speed, excess of 80+ and backed off the throttle. But haven't experienced it at 70.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What percent of your trouble quit with the true tracK?? I'm thinking about one.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Slvr764
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CADguy
What is your definition of "High speed" that you are experiencing this wobble? 70? 80? 100?

Chances are is you will not get an answer from the MOCO, because they will state at the posted speed limit they do not experience this wobble. I have had my WG wobble at high speed, excess of 80+ and backed off the throttle. But haven't experienced it at 70.
The first time was coming down from 120+. But the sweeper was coming up hard from maybe 45. Nothing too harsh

Quick Reply: True track didnt fix wobble