Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:19 AM
2000fxdwg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Bolt

Lost a peg and a bolt and can't find the bolt. I recovered the peg, but I can't seem to find the bolt even at the dealer. In fact, the dealer wanted me to buy an entire peg kit...just to get the bolt. It's one of those allen type bolts. Let me know if you have one laying around and I'll buyit from you. Thanks...

Old 02-16-2007, 09:36 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a Bolt

Take the bolt out from the other side and match it with another one at a hardware store. There is nothing special about the allen bolt and Lowes, Home Depot, any fastener store should have them.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:43 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you talking about the long allen bolt that runs thru the peg and is used to adjust the peg position? Thke the bolt out of the other peg. Measure it's length. Measure diameter and threads per inch. Any good hardware shore should have one. Post the size here and someone may have one laying around.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:45 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

EVOrider; I started my reply and got sidetracked. You beat me to it!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:46 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You went to the dealer and couldn't get screwed???? You must be going to a good dealer then!!

If you go back to the dealer, have them look up the BOM (bill of material) on the peg you have. It should list the peg, and bolt. They should be able to find it that way.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:47 AM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=exactly.gif]I've had to do it, too. Most ACE Hardware stores have a CHROME section too!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:48 AM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ultraultra

You went to the dealer and couldn't get screwed???? You must be going to a good dealer then!!
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 02-16-2007, 11:50 AM
kpreese
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that's weird because I've had the opposite experience at my local dealers' parts departments (3 different dealers). They will look it up and identify the hardware part number.

If you'd rather not go the hardware store route, another option with a crappy parts guy is to determinethe diameter, length, thread count per inch, head type and finish and the part number can be looked up inmost parts manuals. I needed some weird stuff to do one project so I became very familiar with the hardware tables in the back of the book. I've got two parts manuals so pretty much every piece of hardware is in one of those two manuals. If you don't have a parts manual you can post that information, I'd be happy to help if I can.

Kevin

Old 02-16-2007, 12:01 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bad thing about going to ACE hardware, or just getting a bolt from the bolt bin at the HD shop is that the screws used with the pegs are specialty fasteners (I believe). They have a long straight shank that is a larger diameter than the major daimeter of the thread. This acts as a bushing for better fitment (less wobble). I've been called **** (I'm an engineer), but I stick to the specialty fasteners rather than go the generic route. That's just me.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:45 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ultraultra

The bad thing about going to ACE hardware, or just getting a bolt from the bolt bin at the HD shop is that the screws used with the pegs are specialty fasteners (I believe). They have a long straight shank that is a larger diameter than the major daimeter of the thread. This acts as a bushing for better fitment (less wobble). I've been called **** (I'm an engineer), but I stick to the specialty fasteners rather than go the generic route. That's just me.
You would just buy a partial thread bolt instead of a full thread. I'm not 100% sure, but I think footpeg bolts are 3/8-16 with nylock nuts.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Bolt