Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??? on installing forwards on 06 Superglide

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:30 PM
jmbear328
|
Road Warrior
Default ??? on installing forwards on 06 Superglide

I am in the process of installing forwards on my 06 Superglide and the instructions are saying to remove the outter and inner primary covers to remove the shaft and shifter lever. Is this all totally necessary? I thought that I read on here where others just left the shift spline sticking out? There is noway I will be able to removce the inner primary as well since I dont have a couple of the tools required that the service manuel calls for. My intention was to install my forwards now and have the dealer remove the shaft and lever when he installs my inner primary in a couple of weeks. Should I just wait on adding the forwards and have the dealer install them when he installs the inner primary?

John

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:35 PM
hd_sob
Road Master
Default RE: ??? on installing forwards on 06 Superglide

That's how the '05/earlier kit works. The '06+ kit has you yank everything for a cleaner look. Dunno if you can do it the '05 method with the new kit or not, but might work. I bent over and let the Stealer do mine. Your labor for that might be less than standard since they have to go in there anyway for something else...

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:50 PM
Trotter
Banned

I would have waited, There gona charge ya twice for the same Job.. My book says 4 hours Inner Primary,Also 4hours for the forward controls,,,.

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:55 PM
davidchristopher
Cruiser

I'm doing mine myself- I got a chrome inner/outer primary from a wideglide (so there's no hole) for a totally clean look. There was one guy who took a tape coated hacksaw blade to the shifter from the inside (search, I don't remember who) but I dunno if I'd recommend THAT particular way to go. Yeah, it's a lot of work. But it's worth it, imho.

Old 02-16-2007 | 12:07 AM
Trotter
Banned

I did just the outer wide glide primary cover to get rid of the button. It looks good with the Black Inner so I saved the 269.95

Old 02-16-2007 | 01:10 AM
davidchristopher
Cruiser

Lol... Trotter, we have nearly identical bikes (mine's denim) - or will shortly... That beastie looks wicked good man. Glad to see I made the right call on the wg primary!

Old 02-16-2007 | 02:24 AM
jmbear328
|
Road Warrior

Well,... My local dealer quoted me 2 1/2hrs laborfor changing out the inner primary. I'm gonna give them a call in the morning and get a quote for the entire job of the forwards and the inner primary. But,... I did manage to get my chrome outter primary,side transmission cover, cam cover, and engine/transmission interface cover all installed today along with the diamondback cables, and will get the new windshield on tommorow. I'll post some pics in the morning when I'm done. I was really impressed at how that new chrome tranny/engine interface looked on the bike, but it was a royal pain in the butt to install. I had to remove the rear exhaust to get to the top tranny cover bolts.

John

Old 02-16-2007 | 08:59 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

The indy did mine (06 Low Rider) without removing the primary. Covered the shift shaft with chrome cover.

Sammi

Old 02-16-2007 | 12:40 PM
HELDVR
Cruiser

Sammi is correct. The shaft that goes through the inner and outer primary come out fairly easily. No need to remove the inner or outer primary covers.

Also, my dearler reinstalled a chrome inner primary for free when they did the transmission recall for the '06 Dynas. (They had to remove the inner primary anyways?)

Old 02-16-2007 | 12:52 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

I think asmall nub of the shaft is still there - it's covered with a chrome cap.

Pic:

Sammi

Quick Reply: ??? on installing forwards on 06 Superglide