Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front tire leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007 | 01:21 PM
2000fxdwg
|
Cruiser
Default Front tire leak

I have a small air leak in my front tubed tire. Have you guys ever used that green stuff that seals punctures on bicycles?

Old 02-13-2007 | 01:24 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Front tire leak

Yes, I have used Slime for Tube tires and it works. I'd give it a shot for fixing a slow leak. It's only about 5 bucks out the window if it doesn't work. If it doesn't work, you can simply break down one side of the tire and replace the tube. That will only set you back a few bucks....tubes are cheap.

Now, I'm sure the Safety Bobs are gonna come on here and warn you not to try Slime or any other fix it in a can because of a whole host of dangers. Of course, I'm sure these same guys have never used the stuff before, themselves.

http://razor-kickscooters.stores.yahoo.net/slflpr.html

Old 02-13-2007 | 01:42 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

No personal experience with the green slime, but I have heard it can be corrosive to alloy wheels. I'd check on that before putting it in if you do have alloy wheels.

I's also rather fix the leak properly if it was me. Is it a rim leak? Is the valve core leaking. Is the tire punctured? Shouldn't be impossible to find the leak and fix it properly.

Old 02-13-2007 | 01:53 PM
fmbeach
Tourer

Checkyour valve stem. Have had mine vibrate loose just enough for a slow leak ... nearly flat overnite. Took them out and applied a little blue loctite ... problem solved.

I have heard (no experience) that fix a flat, slime etc can cause balance problems.

Old 02-13-2007 | 02:07 PM
2000fxdwg
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: rh8234

No personal experience with the green slime, but I have heard it can be corrosive to alloy wheels. I'd check on that before putting it in if you do have alloy wheels.

I's also rather fix the leak properly if it was me. Is it a rim leak? Is the valve core leaking. Is the tire punctured? Shouldn't be impossible to find the leak and fix it properly.
They are spoked rims so I'm assuming it has an inner tube. All my other bikes have had mags so this is the first time I deal with inner tubes for the exception of mountain bikes. So from past inner tube experience, they are either punctured or the valve leaks. Being that the valve has a good cap with a good o-ring, it must be that the tube has a tiny puncture.

Old 02-13-2007 | 02:15 PM
2000fxdwg
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: fmbeach

Checkyour valve stem. Have had mine vibrate loose just enough for a slow leak ... nearly flat overnite. Took them out and applied a little blue loctite ... problem solved.

I have heard (no experience) that fix a flat, slime etc can cause balance problems.
You may be right about the balancing issue...good call!

Old 02-13-2007 | 02:34 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior

The slime stuff was made for emergency situations. If you have a slow leak, that's not really an emergency. Yeah...it will fix a tube...but at what cost? Could damage be done to the wheel even if it's designed for the tube (i.e. does the stuff leak out?)...also, someone mentioned balance issues. Then, of course, there are the safety issues.
I'm not saying I know any of this....I'm just asking.

I do have a bottle of slime in my tool bag...for my front (spoke) wheel...and if I'm on the road, and I get a flat, that will be the only time I use the stuff. For a slow leak, I think I'll spend a couple extra bucks and get a replacement tube.
Just my opinion

Todd

Old 02-13-2007 | 02:43 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

yup, this sounds like the advice you need. get it done right and use that stuff for emergencies. thats what I'd do.

ORIGINAL: veniculum

The slime stuff was made for emergency situations. If you have a slow leak, that's not really an emergency. Yeah...it will fix a tube...but at what cost? Could damage be done to the wheel even if it's designed for the tube (i.e. does the stuff leak out?)...also, someone mentioned balance issues. Then, of course, there are the safety issues.

I do have a bottle of slime in my tool bag...for my front (spoke) wheel...and if I'm on the road, and I get a flat, that will be the only time I use the stuff. For a slow leak, I think I'll spend a couple extra bucks and get a replacement tube.
Just my opinion

Todd

Old 02-13-2007 | 05:01 PM
2000fxdwg
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: glebo

yup, this sounds like the advice you need. get it done right and use that stuff for emergencies. thats what I'd do.

ORIGINAL: veniculum

Just my opinion

Todd
Yup, I think I'll just change the inner tube. Thanks all for the replies.

Old 02-14-2007 | 07:49 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

Put some dish soap (mixed with a little watter) on the stem and look for bubbles. I have had the valve cores fail. Try tightening the core or replacing it if that is where it is leaking. If it's not the stem, the tube obviously has a puncture. Replace the tube! They are not very expensive and I'd rather replace it than patch it.

Quick Reply: Front tire leak