Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another primary leak !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 09:58 PM
kman42oo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another primary leak !!!!!!

Well ,
yet again another primary leak... Just had it in saturday before last , then again saturday for the same leak.. This is two saturday's in a row spent at the H-D shop.... They checked everything and found no reason for it to be leaking. Think i may tell them to replace the whole inner primary if this don't fix it.. Any body else have this problem ? Oh and this is all warrenty work. And it's a 2004 FXD. Anybody have any idea's or or thought's on this ?
RIDE ON....................
KMAN42OO

Old 08-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts
Default RE: Another primary leak !!!!!!

Where exactly is the leak?

Old 08-15-2005, 11:14 PM
kman42oo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the leak is in the inner primary. i hope it's fixed this time.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok.. I've suffered as have you with primary leaks. Granted it was a 1990 model that was learning to mark it's territory.
Also I saw one drop once from my 04 (pinched shifter gasket.. Union worker assembly).

Ok we know it's coming from the inner primary.. A little troubleshooting here.. The cover itself may not be at fault.

1. Get up under, if you can with a bright light and mirror to see behind the inner primary. Might have to look from the right side while on kickstand. The mirror is to see up under/behind the inner primary to see if something is coming from the tranny or starter seals or possibly the shifter linkage seal. Might have to clean, then ride a little to dry to generate a fresh trail to the source. Inspect the engine and tranny as well.

2. Verify you aren't losing either engine oil or tranny oil.. Though your leak may be so slight it would take a million years to detect a fluid loss.

3. There's only a few things that can be leaking on a new bike, seals, more seals and then a couple more seals. Have them replace all which requires a total primary tear down. Nice thing about it.. It isn't fixed until it's fixed with a warranty.