Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley wrinkle black engine paint. Anybody use it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013 | 11:21 AM
DoubleZ
|
Tourer
Default Harley wrinkle black engine paint. Anybody use it?

Has anybody used the black Harley engine paint?
Does it match up good? Does it last?

I'm thinking about doing my rocker box cover with it

Old 02-26-2013 | 12:15 PM
JRK5892
Banned

I have used it in the past to touch up HD engines for customers. it is about a 8 out of 10 match IMO, even cleaning the heck out of the motor some of them still had issues with it chipping and flaking. We do rocker box exchanges bud, $130 for both or we can just do the top if you want to do just the tops. Powder is def the way to go. If you still decide to paint it be sure you really put a good scuff on it, i would also use a self etc primer

Old 02-26-2013 | 12:28 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

As JKR said, powder is the best way to go. But if your going to paint you may want to just go down to your local hardware store and get some Wrinkle paint. I've been doing that for 30 years or so and it works great. Probably cheaper than HD paint if it matches up for color. And when it gets to looking a little old you just spray it with WD40 and it looks like new again. (after it quits smoking)

Old 02-26-2013 | 12:36 PM
DoubleZ
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by JRK5892
I have used it in the past to touch up HD engines for customers. it is about a 8 out of 10 match IMO, even cleaning the heck out of the motor some of them still had issues with it chipping and flaking. We do rocker box exchanges bud, $130 for both or we can just do the top if you want to do just the tops. Powder is def the way to go. If you still decide to paint it be sure you really put a good scuff on it, i would also use a self etc primer
Thanks joe ill keep it in mind. If obviously rather powder them but the issue is i ant leave my bike torn down to send stuff out, just dont have the space in my house. I'm gonna have 1-2 days where the boxes will be off to change heads. I figured I'd just paint them quick then. Plus with other stuff I'm doin it's really not in the budget vs buying a can of paint. Ill prob paint them now and when they start looking shitty in a year or so, then send them your way for powder.
Do u have any recommendation for what self etc primer to use?

Old 02-26-2013 | 02:49 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DoubleZ
Thanks joe ill keep it in mind. If obviously rather powder them but the issue is i ant leave my bike torn down to send stuff out, just dont have the space in my house. I'm gonna have 1-2 days where the boxes will be off to change heads. I figured I'd just paint them quick then. Plus with other stuff I'm doin it's really not in the budget vs buying a can of paint. Ill prob paint them now and when they start looking shitty in a year or so, then send them your way for powder.
Do u have any recommendation for what self etc primer to use?
Correct me if I'm wrong Joe, but they do a core exchange. You pay for the powdered rockers up front + core deposit. Swap your rockers and send the stockers back to Joe for a refund of core deposit. Then you are only down as long as it takes you to swap the rockers, which is literally 1 hour or less.

Old 02-27-2013 | 10:19 AM
JRK5892
Banned

100% that way when your heads are gone you will have the coated ones sitting there for you. Then all you have to do is send your stock ones back after the heads are installed. really simple process and have done it for a ton of guys on here!

Old 02-27-2013 | 01:15 PM
Jacoblb
Tourer

Someone is selling rocker boxes in the classifieds for pretty cheap. That is another option to reduce your down time.

Old 02-27-2013 | 07:55 PM
DoubleZ
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by JRK5892
100% that way when your heads are gone you will have the coated ones sitting there for you. Then all you have to do is send your stock ones back after the heads are installed. really simple process and have done it for a ton of guys on here!
great. its gonna depend on the finances after i do the other stuff i have planned, if i can swing it ill be in touch for sure

Old 02-28-2013 | 06:15 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member

i have stock AL rocker box covers for sale