Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best windshield for Superglide

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:35 PM
rejlaw
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best windshield for Superglide

I have heard varied reviews of the Harley quick detach windshields. Price is not a real consideration I just want one that works without a lot of buffeting. Any ideas, wind vest looked pretty neat not sure how it works though.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:49 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Best windshield for Superglide

Well,... This has been one of the biggest questions for me as well. Mostly because I dont know anyone with an 06 or later Dyna that I could actually see how the windshield looks on the bike and get a lil first hand info on how they like it. Well,... from what I have read on here is that the taller, (6ft and over), will experience more buffetting than the shorter riders, and I'm 6ft2in. Just as luck would have it,... I saw a guy standing beside his 06 Dyna Superglidethe other day and it had one of the H-D standard height windshields on it. So I pulled up next to him and asked him how he liked it and he stated that he does get a very small amout of buffetting, but that it wasnt all that bad to him and that he moved the windshielddown lower because when he had it slid up he got too much wind from underneath which wanted to lift his helmet up. He said that its great on longer rides and it really reduces the fatigue. Oh and a lil side note is the guy was appx 6ft, 200#. So I decided to just break down a go ahead and order me one from Zanottis since in the end I would save appx $60 instead of buying from my local dealer. I'll make a point to post a complete review of it after I get it on and put a few miles on it.

John,

Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 PM
rejlaw
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks John, I will probably just take try at a Harley model myself. I am 5'9' so who knows I really want to be able to look over the windshield however so I am gonna try the lowest (smallest one).

Old 02-08-2007, 01:00 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most everything we do to our bikes is a compromise between form and function,but I've never understood why a guy who rides a Dyna would want one of those big ol' honkin' dresser looking windshields on a good looking bike like a Dyna. To me,a small shield looks so much better.

You can get a Windvest which,when adjusted right will have almost no buffeting. In fact the faster you go the better the ride goes,I assume because of the lip at the top.

I firmly believe that most of the buffeting comes from below,around the tank. A tanklift will solve most of that problem. A small bag at the base of the windshield helps. Reversing your mirrors to below the handlebars helps if you're running mini-apes.

I've made a bunch of long fast runs,eighty,ninety miles per hour for hours on end in total comfort with just the small windshield and it just looks so much better on a small,clean looking bike like a Dyna. Last run was twenty two hundred miles in four days with this setup.

Anyway,that's my thinking,sure some of you won't agree,but that's ok.

Good Luck

Tom

[IMG]local://upfiles/8936/8C0383DA21CA4232A4B252795ADE3525.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2007, 01:10 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got the QD from Zanottis as well for my FXD...but with the 5 degree weather, haven't had a chance to put it on, much lesstry it. I've also seen some mixed reviews, ( I'm 6'0" also) but I'm hoping for the best - figure it can't be that bad and has to help some on long/cold trips.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:27 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

I use the wide clamp on touring windshield from H-D. The touring windshield is a little wider in the middle than the standard. Got a good deal from Zanotti's.

It looks good. I'm more about function than form; but I won't use anything that's ugly.

I like the clamp on. It's easy and adjustable for height. One size almost fits all.

Buffeting at speed is always an issue. I played around with mine to try and eliminate it. As it turns out, the higher I place the shield on the forks, the worse the buffeting is. Kinda counter-intuitive. What that tells me is, most of the buffeting comes from below, not over the top.

Rifle and KA both have some clamp on lowers to help redice some of that buffeting. I don't know anybody who has tried them. I'm considering it.

I took a ride up the freeway this afternoon. About90 miles round trip. 80-85mph most of the way. I don't think I really noticed any buffeting today. Maybe I'm just used to it. But I think it's really not that big of a deal. You're in the wind, it's going to beat you up a little.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:16 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bobcowan,

Yeah,... I was looking in either my new J&P or Dennis Kirk catalog and I saw the lowers that you are talking about. I think they are from Memphis Shades, and while the are not the prettiest things in the world,My goal is comfort for a few long trips that I have planned this spring and summer.I bet that the lowers combined with a lil fork bag will be just the ticket.

John

Old 02-08-2007, 10:37 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

WEll,

J&P Cycles. Memphis Shades windscreen with the mounting kit, allows you to remove the windshield whenever, comes with the Allen wrench to do so. I am using the 21 inch high model in clear, and I also have an aero vest. The combination of the 2, has left me with no need to wear earplugs anymore! These 2 things have made that much of a difference. See my pic below for a reference....I look through the top 1 inch of the windshield, which will change with a lower mounted headlight...the windscreen is mounted in reference to the headlight as it curves around the top.

Joe

Old 02-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Stanger
Road Master

I also have the Memphis shades wide and I really like it alot. Alot of people do not like a "Bob" to have a shield, but after one ride with one on the highway, well forget what others think, comfort out rules looks anyday if you ask me. Besides, as Traveler has said, it is easy to remove. I use it on long trips and on the around town stuff I can take it off for the looks. Great piece of work made by them though. Good luck in your choice.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Harley Quick Detatch Touring windshield on my '07 Super Glide. Why put a shield like that ona Dyna? 'Cause it's freakin' cold in New England! I was out on the highway doing 80+ the other daywith no buffeting and I could even crack my visor open to keep from fogging up without freezing my lips off. This is the first bike I've had with a windshield (I knew I wanted to try cold weather riding when I bought it) so I can't compare performance. I'm 5' 10" and have a good sight line over the 'shield. Didn't notice any problems with wind coming up from under.

When warm weather comes back, I'll probably take it off for around-the-town and back roads, but it sure makes highway driving much nicer.