Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '96 Dyna Convertible Build (FXDS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014 | 11:02 PM
booze hound
Cruiser

Very nice job on the bike. I'm supposed to pick up a '98 FXDS on Sat and will use your build as an inspiration as I make changes to mine, as I really like what you've done with your bike.

Subscribed and looking forward to more posts as you continue the journey. Hopefully you'll keep us updated.

Old 03-05-2014 | 04:00 AM
oldmisfit
Cruiser

can you take pictures of the rear fender and the nut mount in the rear? thanks
pat

Old 03-05-2014 | 10:49 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

Nice Job man.

Old 03-05-2014 | 11:25 AM
zimm
|
Road Captain

Thanks guys, but over the holiday break I redid the bike again. Hillside cycle bored the jugs, stage 1 ported the heads, and hooked me up with all the parts (10:1 pistons, dynatek ignition, Woods W6 cam, etc). Basically all the goodies to take the 80c.i. evo from a stock 60hp, to 80hp/80ft lbs.

I put the stock tins back on, powder coated the wheels, upgraded to a dual piston rear brake caliper (required newer swing arm).

I'm super happy with how it turned out.

Motor apart:

Parts back from Hillside:

Porting in heads:

New cam:

Motor together:

Last edited by zimm; 03-05-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2014 | 11:26 AM
zimm
|
Road Captain

Final product:

Old 03-05-2014 | 02:07 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Who did your wheels?

Can't believe you worked on it in the basement. .is that a carpeted floor? My wife would never go for that.

Old 03-05-2014 | 02:16 PM
zimm
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mattVA
Who did your wheels?

Can't believe you worked on it in the basement. .is that a carpeted floor? My wife would never go for that.
Haha. Carpeted basement is my man cave. I'd put race deck flooring in there but can't afford it yet so I'll just ruin the carpet. When I spilled redline shockproof all over, it was a nightmare to clean up.

I had custom cycles in Springfield do the wheels. They did the tear down and build up- and they used their go-to guys to powder coat.

Old 03-05-2014 | 02:24 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by zimm
Haha. Carpeted basement is my man cave. I'd put race deck flooring in there but can't afford it yet so I'll just ruin the carpet. When I spilled redline shockproof all over, it was a nightmare to clean up.

I had custom cycles in Springfield do the wheels. They did the tear down and build up- and they used their go-to guys to powder coat.
I really need to check them out. .

I do everything i can myself and have a problem with trusting others to work on my bike. .I have the wheel bearing puller/installer and new bearings on the shelf for my wheels, but will need someone to mount tires/balance when the time comes. Still considering powder coating.

Reasonable prices for the work done?

Old 03-05-2014 | 02:29 PM
zimm
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mattVA
I really need to check them out. .

I do everything i can myself and have a problem with trusting others to work on my bike. .I have the wheel bearing puller/installer and new bearings on the shelf for my wheels, but will need someone to mount tires/balance when the time comes. Still considering powder coating.

Reasonable prices for the work done?
I think so. $500 total.
$200 of that was labor for bearings, rotors, tires and balancing. He put a small
Nick in one rim with new tire machine and offered to redo whole wheel or take $50 off. I took the $50.

Old 03-07-2014 | 05:16 AM
junglejoe
Road Master

I'm digging it!!! On my 4th convertible!! ALL evo's! Hillside did all my machine work too, and with a "small" cam,Vthunder 3020 ,little 9.5:1 compression,bike did high 80's-90 hp after 7 hours on the dyno!!! Engine was supper hot after all that! I don't remember the exact numbers,it's somewhere in my posts. It was brutally fast for only 80 inches stock cv carb and stock ignition and open drag pipes!!!

Last edited by junglejoe; 03-07-2014 at 05:24 AM.

Quick Reply: My '96 Dyna Convertible Build (FXDS)