Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM
2011 FXDB
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAM1C
I honestly think the HD ones look the best but they are so damn pricey.. and for what? just some LED's on an OEM stock mirror... werent there people saying it didnt work unless u kept the stock turn signals on too or something...?
I removed the stock front turn signals and installed the H-D option a year ago on my 2011 SB and have had no problem. No fast flash, nothing additional used except what came in the kit. Here in MA we have required annual safety inspection and having all original lights is a requirment. Passed inspection with just the LED mirrors.

- Dan

Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
brad-humble-racing
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just talked to badlands. Can order part#20500049 for running the HD Harley mirrors without the front signal lights.
Other option is change out rear signal bulbs to LED lights and they will also be brake lights. Also have just LED mirrors in front. Part#78081028.
I'm new here and which option are you guys going with?

Old 01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the HD mirrors and no stock turn signals on the front. On the back I added the Radiantz LED cluster inserts (for 1157 style dual intensity bulbs.)

Everything works except the indicator in the dash flashes really fast. I ordered P/N 2050-0065 inline resistors from Drag Specialties to fix the indicator problem. Keep in mind, this issue is with the new CanBUS system on the 2013 models (and I think 2012.)

2011 and earlier models should wire up and work. If not, you'll need a load equalizer to prevent the turn signals from flashing too fast.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM
brad-humble-racing
Advanced

Ok. I have 2010 fatbob. I am looking at same setup as you. Thanks

Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HD-MC
Really like the look of those one look good on your bike too.
Was the install easy? I really like the look of those onebut I'm not the best when it comes down to wiring so just wondering if I getthem if it's something I could just plug in or need to slice some wires ?
I had them installed by Cycle Visions when I had the bars done, so I don't know if it was easy or not. Since I had them run everything internally, I'm sure it was a PITA.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM
turbobuick
Advanced

Originally Posted by SLV
I got mine on today. They work fine, but the signal LED in the dash flashes rapidly. I went to the dealer to talk to one of the techs about it. We rang up HD's tech support and eventually talked to the chief electrician. Ultimately, I need to install a 3 or 4 ohm resistor (3.8 would be optimum) on the turn signal power wire.

The rapid flashing won't hurt anything, but that's supposed to be the warning for a burned out bulb. I have LED at all 4 corners, so I doubt they'll burn out before I can add the resistor.
How many watts was the resistor rated for that you used? Do you have any heat issues with it?

Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM
rod18cdz
Tourer

Unfortunately Florida requires TS. The previous owner was in NC but I've since registered in FL and want TS. I was running rear only for a while (LED w/badlands load equalizer) but just bought the HD TS mirrors. Opened them up and read through the vague instructions. I will figure it out eventually but if anyone can offer some advice it would be much appreciated. I'm a DIYer and won't go somewhere to pay labor. I did the rear no problem but this looks a lot different and I need a short turn around on this since it is my only transpo. So any advice/pics would be helpful. It's a 2003 FXDWG.

I thought there would be 2 wires minimum from the stem but I only see 1 gray. There is a black wire included in the set for ground that i have to attach myself. Do I run the gray wire down the inside of the handle bars to the main harness or what. It worried me when the instructions said I needed the stockers on there.

There is no diagram for the Y harness. Do I even need it since I have no stock TS?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM
2011 FXDB
Tourer

You don't need the stockers. Run the wires down the inside of the bars and then attach the connectors that came with the kit (one for the left side and one for the right). Fish out the connector from the harness in the frame that went to the stock signals and attach the adapter Y cable that came with kit between the stock connector in the frame and the connector you install on the mirror wires. You will do this for each side.

I think you want to use the Y cable even without the stockers since it acts as an adapter for the two different size connectors that you need to connect (new connector on mirror wires & stock connector from harness). Hope this helps. It has been over a year since I did it, but the directions that came with the kit got the job done. Just skipped the part where you connect the stock signals into the Y harness.

Last edited by 2011 FXDB; 03-14-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
rod18cdz
Tourer

It does help. it is going to save me some trial and error. Did yours have only one gray wire from the mirror? So basically the Y harness is taking it from 1 wire on the L and 1 wire on the R to the 6 wires running into the harness.

Last edited by rod18cdz; 03-14-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:23 PM
2011 FXDB
Tourer

Originally Posted by rod18cdz
It does help. it is going to save me some trial and error. Did yours have only one gray wire from the mirror?
Two wires go down through the bars on each side. One wire comes down through the stem of the mirror and the second has a circular connector (a ground I guess) that is over the stem threads and secured with the mirror nut. The pair of wires then go down through the bars and you put the small two wire connector on the end.

Here is a link to the instruction sheet for reference:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J03820.pdf

Last edited by 2011 FXDB; 03-14-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: turn signal mirrors