Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy drivetrain ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 AM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noisy drivetrain ??

I've had lots of work done to my scoot...professionally by HD and Valley Racing.

108CI SCREAMING EAGLE BIG BORE KIT. HEAVY BREATHER. HILLSIDE CYCLE STAGE III HEADS 1.94 INTAKE VALVE 1.61 EXHAUST
WOODS TW 8.6 CAMS .590 LIFT/246 DURATION
BARNETT CLUTCHES AND SPRINGS S AND S PUSHRODS/ADJUSTABLE
HACKER WARHEADER 2 into 1 EXHAUST
POWER COMMANDER FIVE -TUNED BY VALLEY RACING

All top notch parts and all done to spec. I do notice the power to be sure but I also notice an increase in drive trin noise (at least that's what my dealers head mechanic says it is). So my question to those of you who have heavily modified your engines internals...cams, lifters valves etc....did you notice a noisier valve train? I notice mine making a vibrating chirping sound at the top of the rom curve just at the point where you shift from first into second and 2nd into third. It's not causing any mechanical issues its just weird and. I'll annoying. If its tag huge dams and other mods then hearing that from others would calm my nerves a lot.

Anyone else???

Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

me too man, I have come to terms with it. I noticed it a lot once I put in H54 cams and even more with head work/ 107 kit. I guess it's a price you gotta pay to get performance. If you think about it, you have higher lift cams and much stronger springs...your valve will open further, and slap closed faster, more noise is inevitable.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Joboo1966
Road Master

I guess so....somewhere in my Brain tho I equated high performance mods to not hearing the kind of things we hear. My wife's mustang is pretty high performance and its not noisier. Just figured after all the money I vested, the bike would sound better. But maybe it is the nature of the vtwin beasts we ride. I can live with the noise...I got huge power....just worried the noise is a problem. Don't want the ****ing thing to implode going down the road either ya know?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My bike sounds like a sewing machine to me sometimes, but runs great

Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Yes but, I always assumed the sound was valves closing and cylinders whiring at high RPM. (High lift cam, high compression pistons, Max RPM Extended) The noise I had was a high pitch tinny sound similar to a tool being drug down the aluminum fins of a jug, always just before shifting. Bothered me at first but I rode it awhile and the new noise become the norm. As long as my adjustable pushrods were set properly and everything was torqued to spec I never worried about it and it never flew apart.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check to make sure rockers are not hiting the rocker cover? I know on some high lift cams this can happen.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Yes but, I always assumed the sound was valves closing and cylinders whiring at high RPM. (High lift cam, high compression pistons, Max RPM Extended) The noise I had was a high pitch tinny sound similar to a tool being drug down the aluminum fins of a jug, always just before shifting. Bothered me at first but I rode it awhile and the new noise become the norm. As long as my adjustable pushrods were set properly and everything was torqued to spec I never worried about it and it never flew apart.
**** brother you hit the descriptive nail on the head! That's exactly what mine sounds like. ""a high pitch tinny sound similar to a tool being drug down the aluminum fins of a jug, always just before shifting"". Exactly. I know my adjustable pushrods are fine everything's to spec. The dealership went through it and when I had them drive it he said " just sounds like a high performance engine with huge cams....tons of compression, and a typical noisy drivetrain due to all the high end high performance parts."

So based on that and your so very accurate description I'd have to side on the observation that its normal. I think.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pinging?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Originally Posted by strongwood
pinging?
No it's definitely not pinging. It's a noise I honestly have a very hard time accurately describing. Basically when it idles and runs its sounding perfect....but when I open it up in first gear right at the top of the rpm curve just as your about to shift its a kinda chirping vibrating noise.....very similar to the high pitch noise described as a tool being drug down the aluminum fins on the jug if that's helpful. I was initially so concerned that this sound was no normal that I took it to my dealer and the head mech said that this bike is not normal. He said if a stock Harley sounded like this he'd be worried but because this bike is so built , 130 hp, high compression polished ported heads, huge cams, lifters , pushrods etc , so the fact is the drive train is going to be noisy. Based on that logic plus what all you folks are saying that echo that I'll just assume its a necessary fact of the bikes life setup as it is.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

The first time I heard this I assumed the valves were slightly touching the top of the piston at WOT just before shift. I have had 2 bikes make this sound, 1 a carburated Evo and the other a Fuel Injected Twin Cam. Both were eventually torn down for 1 reason or another and neither showed any unusual wear in the valve train , evidence of early detonation/pre-ignition ping, nor had any marks on the piston which would suggest insuffecient valve to piston clearance. I had the the Evo for almost 20 years and put over 30k mi with that build, tore it down to replace a weeping base gasket. I still have the Twin Cam which was tore back down to replace soft rings that never sealed up. I assume the builder of this engine had researched lift and ratio of the valve train and checked piston to valve clearance with putty during the build.

Quick Reply: Noisy drivetrain ??