Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longest SOLO ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007 | 02:36 AM
KBFXDLI
|
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default Longest SOLO ride

I am thinking about taking a week to 10 days and just hitting the road and heading to FL to visit my friends and then onto Key West for 3-4 days and then up the East Coast and home via Pa. on my own solo. How many of you guys have made trips like this solo? Any problems on the road?

Old 02-06-2007 | 02:56 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Default RE: Longest SOLO ride

I once rode from Marquette Michigan to Pensacola Florida and only stoped for food and gas. It started with 8 hours of freezing rain, then in Kentucky there were hailstorms and tornado's. 36 hours on the road total. That was about 18 years ago and there's no way in hell that I could do that today. I made some great memories though and got some bragging rights to boot!!

Old 02-06-2007 | 03:01 AM
KBFXDLI
|
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Tailbreaker

I once rode from Marquette Michigan to Pensacola Florida and only stoped for food and gas. It started with 8 hours of freezing rain, then in Kentucky there were hailstorms and tornado's. 36 hours on the road total. That was about 18 years ago and there's no way in hell that I could do that today. I made some great memories though and got some bragging rights to boot!!
Jerry...you aren't building my confidence with that story.........LOL I need to hear the story of how you got stranded in a nice hotel with a hooters girl for 3 days.

Old 02-06-2007 | 03:10 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you wanted the Hollywood version.The hooters girlsare a completely different story! ............

Old 02-06-2007 | 11:25 AM
haksaw
Road Master

the longest i've gone solo isa couple of weeks...biggest problem was my evo was using a little oil and had to top her up a couple of times...other than that smooth sailing. Solo rides are my favorite. No one to mess with you plans, make em up as you go. The only down side is not being able to share the views and experiences with someone but that's what cameras are for.

Old 02-06-2007 | 11:51 AM
JSW
Cruiser

Mine wasn't as far as some. Rochester NY to Myrtle Beach for bike week. I did it straight through with stops for gas, food, coffee, etc...
I would do it again. I love the experience I just wish the weather would cooperate more. I left NY with a cold crosswind which fatigued the hell out of me, and then as you would expect the weather became beautiful as I entered the party.
My trip home was a tester to say the least!! I left Myrtle at 1 AM in a thunderstorm. Didn't clear up till I hit VA and it was chilly but nice. I ended the trip in a driving freezing rain for the last 3 or 4 hours. I really hated that as you could imagine.

If you can't tell from my opinion, if the weather is good--your trip will be spectacular. If not you will tell some stories like this.

Old 02-06-2007 | 12:55 PM
KBFXDLI
|
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Would you guys recommend a winshield? I have a helmet with the flip up face shield which I prefer to a winshield but I have never had a windshield.

Old 02-06-2007 | 02:27 PM
JSW
Cruiser

I personally don't like windshields, especially on my current ride. Now down the road (on a R King) I'll probably have a removeable one.
They no doubt cut down the fatigue due to wind.

Old 02-06-2007 | 02:36 PM
haksaw
Road Master

i always have when when on a trip. If it rains and you have no shield you're not going to be riding long (at least with an open face helmet)
You can do longer days with a windshield and feel good enough to head out on the town when you arrive for the night.

Old 02-06-2007 | 03:06 PM
KBFXDLI
|
Big Kahuna HDF Member

You guys that don't have baggers, how much stuff did you carry? Any tools etc.? I'm thinking about getting a sissy bar installed and a sissy bar pack.

Quick Reply: Longest SOLO ride