Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Harley,Looking for your advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012 | 07:24 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nico963
The dealer told me that they built the motor and that the PO is a friend of the mechanic there.The salesman told me that the PO was trading it in because he wanted some new Street Glide loaded out that was $34,000.

Thanks for all the help guys!
As was said earlier, if they did all the engine work they should be able to produce all the history and receipts of the build. If they can't or won't, I wouldn't consider buying this bike at all.
If you want a built bike, buy stock and do it yourself or have someone build it.
At least then you know what you got and have recourse if anything fails.

Old 12-28-2012 | 11:43 AM
Mike650
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
As was said earlier, if they did all the engine work they should be able to produce all the history and receipts of the build. If they can't or won't, I wouldn't consider buying this bike at all.
If you want a built bike, buy stock and do it yourself or have someone build it.
At least then you know what you got and have recourse if anything fails.
+1. if they dealer says they did it, wheres the paperwork evidence!!!!

Old 12-28-2012 | 01:20 PM
Runner58
Cruiser

This is a great time of the year to buy new in a cold weather city. I'll bet you can make a great deal on something new. Ride it in the spring and then decide on mods as you go along.
I got a killer deal on a 2013 Road King in November when I traded in my Super Glide Custom.

Old 12-28-2012 | 01:25 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

My concern is it is a 06 and the motor is a 103. That means the cases were bored out. That is not necessarily bad but I prefer to not mod my cases. It's a preference thing. Like many other said if I can see what was done to it and by whom I might consider it. If I am going on guesswork I would go the lowest I can possibly go and play for the unknown. That way I have money to fix it.

Old 12-28-2012 | 01:39 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

I have to agree with what others have said...unless the dealer can prove they did the work with paperwork, I would stay far away from it. Even then, I would be turned away from it. A built engine could be asking for trouble.

If you're going to buy used, it's always best to buy something that is basically stock, or stage 1 upgrades at the most. I would not buy any bike that had a built engine. I bet it runs like a raped ape, but the more you do to an engine, the less life and reliability it's going to have.

There are lots of nice low mile bikes out there that are stock or mostly stock...I would keep looking.

Old 12-28-2012 | 02:18 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain

I think you are getting good advice from the guys here. If the dealer did that much custom work on it, I wouldn't trust them without documentation and a reasonable warranty ... if it goes bad, you could be looking at another few thousand in repairs pretty easily.

I'd also wonder about how the math adds up. The PO put that much money into his bike and then traded it in? Why? If the dealer is selling to you at $17, they probably didn't give any more than $15 for it. If they are saying the engine, wheels and exhaust are worth $12? Something doesn't sound right. Maybe the PO had more dollars than sense and maybe it's something else and you'll be holding the bag.

Last, for this bike and any other, I'd ask myself if I'd invest that kind of money in my ride. Some people would drop $3,000 on a set wheels, but not me. It seems pretty enticing to get an awesome ride for a great deal, but I'd be more inclined to get a little more modest bike, use some cash to add the stuff I really wanted and then use the extra $4,000-$5,000 for gas, maintenance and tires for the next few years.

Old 12-28-2012 | 02:52 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member

Another thing that has me wondering besides the $2000 exhaust is the 113 motor. I don't pretend to even come close to knowing everthing about motors, actually I know very little about built motors as I have never built one, but that said I don't think I have ever heard of a 113" motor. Like I said I don't know every motor out there but that seems to be an odd ball size. Anyone else seen one? Is it just a less common size motor?

Old 12-28-2012 | 03:58 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Very common size^

Old 12-28-2012 | 06:24 PM
Mark_H
Road Master

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
Another thing that has me wondering besides the $2000 exhaust is the 113 motor. I don't pretend to even come close to knowing everthing about motors, actually I know very little about built motors as I have never built one, but that said I don't think I have ever heard of a 113" motor. Like I said I don't know every motor out there but that seems to be an odd ball size. Anyone else seen one? Is it just a less common size motor?
Yep, I have one in the bike shown below. They are common. The thing is, is it a 103 that has been bored out, or is it an aftermarket engine of a different brand like mine that was made as a 113"

Either way, I'll stick to what I said before about not touching it. The fact that the dealer won't put a warranty on it and they supposedly did the work should tell you volumes.

That's a hell of a sales pitch...Here is a fantastic bike with all types of engine mods and upgrades that we did. We are so proud of it, and so sure of our quality work that we are prepared to give you absolutely no warranty whatsoever.

The only phrase that comes to mind here is, Come on man!

Old 12-28-2012 | 06:54 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member

Learn something new everday. Thanks.

Quick Reply: New to Harley,Looking for your advice