Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Harley,Looking for your advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012 | 10:30 PM
Mike650
Road Captain

gotta agree. unless theres paperwork evidence that a quality shop did the work, the PO could have done it and maybe thats why he traded it in.... as for the $2000 exhaust, no way... even high performance custom pipes dont cost that much. find yourself a different bike. thats why i bought new and not used. a clean history.

Old 12-27-2012 | 11:34 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

For 16k your going to be abke to find SOMETHING that's 09+ and stock. Hell, there may even be a few 2012s out there that they can make deal on for ya. For that much bud, id look at my options. As other have stated, the motor work is unknown. Stock is your best friend until YOU decide to mod it.

Old 12-27-2012 | 11:45 PM
Neal Smith
Cruiser

My 2 cents. I would look at an 09 and up new style frame. Unknown motor work scares me especially that size if you don't know the backround. Those motors can be really great or one big pain in the a!!. And everyone says when buying used you don"t pay for someone elses add ons. Good luck that being your first Harley I wouldn"t.

Old 12-28-2012 | 02:07 AM
Craigmier
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mark_H
Personally I wouldn't touch it. Without knowing the builder and the history of how it was ridden your opening yourself up to problems.

When stuff starts breaking you won't have a clue as to what the internals are. When you find out it will probably cost more than its worth to start replacing stuff.

IMO, if your shopping for a used bike, buy one that is relatively stock. Ride the hell out of it and when it starts getting loose, rebuild it the way you want it. Then you will at least know whats in it.
+1 - Good advice. Unless you personally know the builder, I wouldnt trust spending that much coin on a built bike, too many things can go wrong.

Old 12-28-2012 | 03:11 AM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member

Hello from Redcar England.
Good choice of bike. Hanve a good look around don't go for the first thing you see. Save money while you are looking and look for a standard little minter that has not been used much. Just to say at this point that 06 is not to old. Gather information from the forum on that model there has been some changes which could be to your advantage and would make the bike more saleable should you change your mind in the future.
Good luck
tbone

Old 12-28-2012 | 05:45 AM
Nico963
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike650
gotta agree. unless theres paperwork evidence that a quality shop did the work, the PO could have done it and maybe thats why he traded it in.... as for the $2000 exhaust, no way... even high performance custom pipes dont cost that much. find yourself a different bike. thats why i bought new and not used. a clean history.
The dealer told me that they built the motor and that the PO is a friend of the mechanic there.The salesman told me that the PO was trading it in because he wanted some new Street Glide loaded out that was $34,000.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 12-28-2012 | 05:56 AM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member

The salesman will tell you anything to sell a bike, I am not saying its not true but when you trade in the sales man will tell you that the extras don,t add value but when he has your bike he will sell it on its extras telling you that each extra part cost thousands to make the bike seem a better buy.

Old 12-28-2012 | 06:04 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

If that's the case (sales/dealer familiar w/PO) then have them produce all the paperwork on these upgrades so you can verify all the work. If everything's legit - it's a great deal w/all the work done on this bike + low miles to boot. Also, request they add some type of buyer warranty to boot (6-month or 1-yr) so you're covered if something's amiss w/the bike. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2012 | 07:09 AM
Nico963
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Iceman24
If that's the case (sales/dealer familiar w/PO) then have them produce all the paperwork on these upgrades so you can verify all the work. If everything's legit - it's a great deal w/all the work done on this bike + low miles to boot. Also, request they add some type of buyer warranty to boot (6-month or 1-yr) so you're covered if something's amiss w/the bike. Good luck!
I did ask about some kind of warranty,He said no deal but he could maybe work on something like a 30 day warranty.I thought to myself hell,If I buy within the week I won't even ride it for three more months.What good would 30 days do me?

Everybody else is making very good points that I didn't think of.This bike is exactly what I've been waiting for but I don't want my first Harley to be a nightmare.Im starting to think a 09+ might be a better option.

Old 12-28-2012 | 07:15 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

09+ touring bikes were changed a bit, but decent 08-earlier are just as good. I'd be concerned on the dealership not backing this bike too...especially if they know its history so maybe it's a pass because of issues...??

Quick Reply: New to Harley,Looking for your advice