Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sensitive Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Dynafrom818
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sensitive Throttle

I took my bike in to get serviced and the shop told me the throttle was "sticky" and needed a new cable and some adjusting. I told them to fix the problem as needed. When I got the bike back, I noticed the throttle was very sensitive, especially when if I am trying to just cruise. The bike jerks because the throttle is so responsive. I freaking hate it. I took it back to the shop and they did some cable adjustment. It still feels the same.

The mechanic told me that is just the way a new throttle should feel.....I say "bull"..!

Seriously, it is way too sensitive and responsive. This is my 3rd Harley, and I can't imagine this is the way a new throttle should feel. I will say that this is my first fuel injection bike. My last two were carb.

Part of me is thinking of taking it to the dealer for a second opinion. Ugh.!!

Old 12-27-2012, 03:09 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

sounds like this is how it is suppose to be set up... you can loosen the throttle cable at the grip to give you more lag time from when you twist the throttle to wear it catches... i have a customer that likes a 1/8 turn free play in there... that may help you out to what you are used to... ooh and sticky throttles typically just means you need to lube your cable not replace! unless of course the cable was cracked

Old 12-27-2012, 03:19 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Shots In The Dark

Throttle Cable I would assume older (no TBW) model?

Throttle sensor I might assume newer EFI model?

Bad compensator?

Knowing a year and model would help. Can't imagine why anyone would want a sloppy cable adjustment of any kind.

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 12-27-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

all dyna's even the new EFI have a throttle cable on them... going off his sig pic i was just assuming it was an FXD superglide, but 100% year and model are always a plus

Last edited by JRK5892; 12-27-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Bo_Jangles
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never thought of a responsive throttle to be a bad thing. You probably built up a muscle memory to the old sticky one. Give it some time.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
HDCustomFabrication
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing the shop you took it to was not an HD dealer, they always add some play in the throttle. It is an easy adjustment, you do need to adjust both cables and it should not take much.
Do it yourself and get exactly the feel you want, frankly this is an adjustment you need to know how to do, especially if you are very particular, having it done by someone else if you are not standing there just isn't going to make you happy in the end.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with the OP. I like a little free play at dead throttle so if I go over a speed bump or hit a pothole I dont inadvertently goose the bike. Been known to happen. Still leaves the throttle responsive. You just get used to where it's set at.

Last edited by Junkster; 12-28-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

even with a little free play a throttle can still feel sensitive, especially when trying to maintain a slow steady speed. When my bike was new I had to rest my forefinger on the front brake lever to steady my throttle hand, I'd have to agree with the op's mechanic, a weak throttle return spring could ad to the problem

Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I always leave a little free play on the throttle as I am ham handed.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:18 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It sounds to me that your throttle has been sticking for a long while and when repaired you don't like the change.
Throttle response is what most of us want.
Why not give it a chance and relearn to use it like it is. I have one bike with cables and one with TBW and I much prefer the cable bike because of the better response it has.
just a thought

dd

Quick Reply: Sensitive Throttle