Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break-in 95" big bore

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:43 AM
dynarider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in 95" big bore

I got my bike back from the shop after having them do a 95" big bore, S&S Heads, S&S 570 cams, SE pistions 9.6:1, adjustable pushrods and new lifters. I have a PowerCommander (pc III usb) and didn't have a map for the new engine parts and new pipes also. So I brought the bike to the local dyno shop (pc authorized tuning center) and they did a break-in dyno first to seat the rings, then did the dyno tune. They put around 50 miles on the bike and ran it to redline while tuning it. They also did 3 oil changes in during the process.

The bike runs great now and I'm happy with the numbersI'mgetting - 96.37 HP and 103.23 for Torque. I went back to the shop that did the build and showed them the dyno results and they were pissed! They said I should have rode the bike mellow for 1000 miles to break it in. They said a dyno up to 3,500 or 4,000 rpm would have been ok till finished with the break in then I could have done a final dyno run.

I think I broke it in right. Any thoughts on why this is the right or wrong way to do a break in?

[IMG]local://upfiles/10582/60B504AB7DE842AFA5EF06907EFCF206.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-04-2007, 03:00 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Default RE: Break-in 95" big bore

Theres a lot of folks that think the ring seating takes place in the first 50, if the bike is not babied during those miles.

Matter of fact, there is some web site out there that swears up and down the exact opposite break in process that most others buy into.

I sort of did my own thing - I didn't ride any constant steady hiway miles, and other than that pretty much rode the **** out of it.

Personally, I think you will be OK - but I'm just an enthusiast, I don't do this stuff for a living.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:41 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior

^^^Others say in the first 10 minutes!

I say ditto to that guy. I think you bike is fine. I used to watch that show "Built or Bust".

and they HAVE to do a burnout with the bike or they dont get that damned thing!

and that is usually on a brand new out of the crate S&S! a literal break-in!

If that dyno shop gave you bike a couple of loaded heat cycles and changed the oil your OK in my book!

Have the shop that did the work to a compression test and see how it looks!

If you just put a new engine in a drag car that was not street legal how would you break that engine in?........... a quarter mile at a time!

Old 02-04-2007, 01:53 PM
dynamolowrider
Tourer

first this is jmo!!! in my hot rod days we used to say blow or go!! but we billt them a littel lose. think off the rings like a spring if you get them to hot they lose there spring. the rings get hot quick on a new motor its proubly best to put them though several heat cycels more than just looking at the miles. while in the breakin process

Old 02-04-2007, 07:23 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they really did 3 oil changes, they dang sure got all the break-in metal bits out of there and kept the heat down with fresh quarts of oil since that about all the coolant an air cooled motor has. Those numbers sound great BTW. You didn't even mention how the new power felt to ride.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:06 PM
dynarider
Advanced

Yeah I think the dyno shop did a really good job and the engine builder also. The bike runs great! It pulls like a frieght train! I'm definitely happy with the performance and dyno tune numbers.

I'm going to continue to ride it like I stole it!

Old 02-05-2007, 02:41 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok,

Again, this is just my opinion, but I have some exerience with all of this......on a 95 build, the only thing you are breaking in is the rings....riding it the way you are actually going to ride it, is what needs to be done! with just the rings to break in, you are NOT going to blow it up by "getting on it". The absolute best way to break it in, is to go find a long hill, and come down it fast, and downshift letting the compression of the motor hold the bike back! This will break the rings in immediately! With the oil changes you did....well....let me just tell you, you love your motor, and you have nothing to worry about. The shop that did the work is full of it!...all is fine! did you get it re-tuned now that it is "broken in"?

Ride the darn thing! She is good to go! Too many "worry warts"! She is strong! I am kind of jealous! I kind of wish I had the domed pistons and the 570 cams now!.......

joe