Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Older wide glide fender in a new glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Harley.dude
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Older wide glide fender in a new glide

Hi

I have a 2012 wide glide, which is the best looking harley except for the *** end. I was going to put a fatbob rear guard on it, but now I have seen one done I am not that keen.

Does anyone know if an older (pre 2010) glides fender fit? Or anyone tried dabing a softail rear to fit? How did it go?

I just love the old bobtail fender look. Cheers.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey man. Ok, the 2008-present fxdf fatbob runs the same rear bobtail fender as the 2006-2008 wide glide. the frames on the new wide glide are similar and should accept the fxdf's bobtail. You'll have to get the rear fender strut covers to mount the fender and rear turn signals in the factory location.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 PM
KKND
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree......the only thing I don't like about the current WG is the rear fender and lack of chrome.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Harley.dude
Stage IV

Thanks for the good info ebeatie. I appreciate it.

No one else done a softail rear conversion?

Anyone selling a fatbob rear fender, struts and strut supports?

Old 12-25-2012, 01:41 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

forum member man4mopar did a Softail bobtail fender on his Wide Glide ... here's his write up ...

Originally Posted by man4mopar
Update,
Well I ordered a new fuel tank and a 06 softail rear bobbed fender. Want more curve from the rear fender and the softails have it. But I have to modify the fender to fit. We will see how that goes, so far looking good. Ordered a used fuel tank too since low priced and why not have all the original tins stay original.
Turns out since the triple trees have no offset to them they hit the tank with my stops set where they are. I have another setting to limit steer but it limits more then I want. So I have ground the rear tank mount holes forward to slide the tank back roughly a inch. I will cut the front mounts off and reweld in correct location.
Not much new with the springer, it is done and looks as you see above. Not much will change there till I mount the front fender.

I cut just shy of 1" from the middle of the fender. Then quickly fabbed a jig 9" wide to hold the two pieces firmly in place for welding together. I have a 1" metal strip I formed to match the fender that adds strength to the rewelded fender. Hopefully this turns out, is my first attempt at this. Here are the pics.
... click through the blue arrow by his name above for a few photos ... it was a post on his thread about converting to a springer front end ...

Old 12-25-2012, 03:54 AM
Harley.dude
Stage IV

Surfor chop ... Thanks mate that info is just what I was after.