Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Fat 50's!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013 | 09:58 PM
trainedkilla
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mascman
Sounds like that is exactly what happened. Can't really blame the dealer onthat one.
I never blamed the dealer. I will say that it is an R&D defect to attach a piece so heavy on a bike with alot of vibration with 3M tape only. The area gets hot also.

I made it worse by powder coating and not replacing the tape. The shop that had the bike in their care at the time that it came off is going to replace the piece. I offered to pay half but they said they would cover it. I will have to paint the lettering again though.

Old 01-13-2013 | 08:34 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

I wasn't saying that you blamed the dealer per se...just meant that it wasn't their fault.

That piece will stay just fine with a good tape on it. I removed mine and had Joe the Powderpro strip the paint from my battery cover, then he polished it to look like chrome. I used 3M tape on the band probably over 5 years ago or more and it is still there.

Old 01-13-2013 | 08:39 AM
trainedkilla
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mascman
I wasn't saying that you blamed the dealer per se...just meant that it wasn't their fault.

That piece will stay just fine with a good tape on it. I removed mine and had Joe the Powderpro strip the paint from my battery cover, then he polished it to look like chrome. I used 3M tape on the band probably over 5 years ago or more and it is still there.
I have done a little research on this forum and there seems to be a common problem with that band falling off. I am just going to drill a small hole and bolt it down...along with the tape to prevent the rattle.

Old 01-13-2013 | 09:30 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Just checked mine to see if I should be concerned cause I didn't know anyone was having an issue. It's holding tight.

I wonder if the issue is with the stock tape? Like I said, I removed mine before...and if I remember right, I just got under the edge and was able to pull it off...no heat or anything to help.

Since I reattached it with quality 3M stuff, I probably did myself a favor.

Might be worth not even using the stock tape and just getting some 3M trim tape on your new one?