Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running a late model Wide Glide 180/60/17 rear tire on a Street bob?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012 | 09:42 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master
Default Anyone running a late model Wide Glide 180/60/17 rear tire on a Street bob?

I have read a lot about the HD SE 180mm wide tire kit GT502 180/60B17 for the late model street bobs and Superglides....

As far as I know the WG and the SB share the same size rear wheel?? (17" X 4.5"), the only difference being the WG comes with a 180mm 180/60B17 tire and the SB has a 160mm tire...

So instead of paying $$$ for the SE 180 kit on a Street Bob, why not just put a 180mm WG tire on? They seem to have exactly the same specs?? Anyone see a problem with this??

Thanks

Last edited by thewholehog; 12-13-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2012 | 09:50 PM
steelcowboy
Road Master

You can just run the tire with no other mods. (the SE 180) I run a 200 xxl on mine now but that requires extra mods ie. strip the wiring change the bolts to a thinner style. I had the SE 180 on it before and like I said I didn't do anything just had it in there without they're fancy kit and it didn't rub. It just wasn't enough for me. The difference between the SE 180 and a regular 180 is the sidewall is much more slanted on the SE giving it a 160mm sidewall profile with a 180mm of tread surface.

Old 12-12-2012 | 10:25 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by steelcowboy
You can just run the tire with no other mods. (the SE 180) I run a 200 xxl on mine now but that requires extra mods ie. strip the wiring change the bolts to a thinner style. I had the SE 180 on it before and like I said I didn't do anything just had it in there without they're fancy kit and it didn't rub. It just wasn't enough for me. The difference between the SE 180 and a regular 180 is the sidewall is much more slanted on the SE giving it a 160mm sidewall profile with a 180mm of tread surface.
thanks steelcowboy, I was mainly questioning the difference between the SE 180 tire GT502 180/60B17 and the 180mm tire that comes on the WG from the factory (180/60B17)... they seem to have exactly the same specs? If so, why not use the WG tire instead of the more expensive HD kit?

Last edited by thewholehog; 12-12-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2012 | 03:46 PM
steelcowboy
Road Master

Like I explained the difference is the angle of the sidewall.

Old 12-13-2012 | 06:30 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Like I explained the difference is the angle of the sidewall.
OK, I'm not trying to be an *******, but in what way is the angle different? They both have exactly the same width and sidewall profile of "60"... therefore they must have the same sidewall angle?? Maybe someone else with greater tire knowledge than us will chime in...

Old 12-13-2012 | 06:32 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

Perelli makes a 180 for that as well. On my second set.

Old 12-13-2012 | 09:03 PM
steelcowboy
Road Master

OK I am not trying to be an ******* either here but its not rocket science. A 160/60/17 tire breaks down like this 160mm from casting to casting on the tread surface. the "60" refers to the aspect ratio meaning 60% of the width of the tire is the height of the sidewall. Of course the 17 is the rim size. What the SE 180 does is plays with the numbers its not really an aspect ratio of the 180mm but instead of a 160mm. How they did it with that tire if you look it is the tread is wider than the sidewall it has a little hump along the edge. Which allowed them to make the sidewall angle greater which allows it to fit in between the fender sides without rubbing. All that's in the miracle kit they want to sell you is a few zip ties and some different inner pieces that run on the inside of the fender struts. I suggest saving your money and just tearing the innards out of the inside of your fender (like I said) and then you can run a real 180+ I run a 200mm on an 18" rim. The room is there you just have to play around with it a little.

Old 12-13-2012 | 10:00 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

The other point to note: Harley rims are generally thinner than other manufacturers. The SE502 has been designed to be a wide tire to fit on the thinner rim. Not every 180 tire is designed to fit on this thin of rim.
Pirelli makes the Night Dragon to specifically fit the Harley rim at half the price. Also, the Night Dragon 180 is bias ply as well and has a matching front bias.

You keep mentioning the WG tire, but my question is who makes it, can you buy it from any-one other than Harley and how much does it cost?

Tires to look into; Avon, Pirelli and Metzler

Old 12-13-2012 | 10:56 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

OK I am not trying to be an ******* either here but its not rocket science. A 160/60/17 tire breaks down like this 160mm from casting to casting on the tread surface. the "60" refers to the aspect ratio meaning 60% of the width of the tire is the height of the sidewall. Of course the 17 is the rim size. What the SE 180 does is plays with the numbers its not really an aspect ratio of the 180mm but instead of a 160mm. How they did it with that tire if you look it is the tread is wider than the sidewall it has a little hump along the edge. Which allowed them to make the sidewall angle greater which allows it to fit in between the fender sides without rubbing. All that's in the miracle kit they want to sell you is a few zip ties and some different inner pieces that run on the inside of the fender struts. I suggest saving your money and just tearing the innards out of the inside of your fender (like I said) and then you can run a real 180+ I run a 200mm on an 18" rim. The room is there you just have to play around with it a little.
OK, thanks for the reply, but I see now that you have misunderstood my question. I was trying to compare the SE 180mm tire to the standard 180mm tire that comes on the current Wide Glide model from the factory. Both are 180mm wide, both have an aspect ratio of "60" and both fit a 17" X 4.5" stock rim. Therefore when choosing a 180mm rear tire for the SB, what is the real difference?

Now do you see what I'm getting at?

Last edited by thewholehog; 12-13-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2012 | 11:01 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gommee
.....Pirelli makes the Night Dragon to specifically fit the Harley rim at half the price. Also, the Night Dragon 180 is bias ply as well and has a matching front bias.

You keep mentioning the Dunlop standard WG tire, but my question is who makes it, can you buy it from any-one other than Harley and how much does it cost?
Hi Gommee, Yes I am referring to the WG tire because as far as I know it is a 180mm tire on a 4.5" rim?? It has the same aspect ratio as the SE180 tire, so what is the diff aside from the price.

Thanks for the tip regarding the Pirelli. If I use the night dragon on the rear, do I have to run a bias ply tire up front as well? What will happen if I don't?

Quick Reply: Anyone running a late model Wide Glide 180/60/17 rear tire on a Street bob?