Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crazy high idle then dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 AM
burgerusmc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crazy high idle then dies

So my 2000 lowrider is having a crazy high idle with the choke on, at around 4000 rpms, then it dies as soon as the choke is turned off, regardless of how long it has been running. I did a handlebar swap a week ago and have had the problem ever since. Last year i plugged the vacuum line from the petcock and it ran fine, so I dont think that is part of the problem. Any suggestions? I dont want to go to a shop with a thousand "I thinks" and get ripped off. I tried adjusting the throttle cables loose and then tightening them, and did MINOR adjustments on the screw on the carb that adjusts the rich/lean mixture.
Thanks guys.
Respect,
Kevin

Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it surge (increase rev) when you're riding? You might be sucking air.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You plugged the vacuum line from the petcock???

Unless you changed out the fuel petcock to a standard NON vacuum style your bike shouldnt even run at all. Put the vacuum line back on or swap the fuel valve to a Pingle valve.

If problem persists check cables, and clean jets. A fresh James brand carb to intake gasket is also recommended.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 AM
burgerusmc
Advanced

I havent ridden it since it started doing this, I live in the country and do not want to get stranded. It does it also when the throttle is half way open. It will rev normally for a few two or so seconds then it will sputter and die. Not being very mechanically inclined I do not want to mess up more than already is.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 AM
burgerusmc
Advanced

I flipped the spring to the other side of the diaphragm so the petcock always has that vacuum pressure on it, then plugged the end of the vacuum like from the carb. I love the pingels, just not enough money. Will go clean the jet. Thanks

Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 AM
arcamedies
3rd Gear

Sounds like you have disturbed something, changed bars last week but plugged a line last year, did it have the same problem then? Usually when someone tinkers changing several things it gets more expensive having a technician try to figure out what needs to be done or undone. It's ok to tweak but when it doesn't correct a problem untweak it so it's back where it was. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM
burgerusmc
Advanced

Originally Posted by arcamedies
Sounds like you have disturbed something, changed bars last week but plugged a line last year, did it have the same problem then? Usually when someone tinkers changing several things it gets more expensive having a technician try to figure out what needs to be done or undone. It's ok to tweak but when it doesn't correct a problem untweak it so it's back where it was. Good luck.
arcamedies, last year i just wanted to get rid of the vacuum style petcock. Ran fine for upwards of a whole year with the plug and spring switch i did for the vacuum. I will keep you posted for the progress

Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by burgerusmc
I flipped the spring to the other side of the diaphragm so the petcock always has that vacuum pressure on it, then plugged the end of the vacuum like from the carb. I love the pingels, just not enough money. Will go clean the jet. Thanks

OK, then its gotta be the jets are clogged or the float needle is possibly partially clogged. Check the float needle to confirm it moves freely. Swab the brass seat with a q tip and carb cleaner until swab comes out clean.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 AM
burgerusmc
Advanced

Originally Posted by parts eeter
OK, then its gotta be the jets are clogged or the float needle is possibly partially clogged. Check the float needle to confirm it moves freely. Swab the brass seat with a q tip and carb cleaner until swab comes out clean.
Will do. ill go do it now and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help and quick responses!

Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Careful "tinkering" with everything or you could have more issues than just the intake leaking.

Any time you have to pull the choke out to get it to run after warm up it's the intake leaking. The choke compensates for the leak, poorly adjusting the air fuel ratio allowing it to run and fowl up the plugs.

You can also test for air leaks by lightly spraying carb cleaner at the intake from back and front. Don't get the spray heading back into the carb when doing this. Only spray the intake behind the carb. It will slow down the motor and even stall when a full dose of cleaner gets sucked into the air leak.

Replace the gaskets and seals and off you go.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 12-11-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: crazy high idle then dies