Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

register bike in california....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts
Default register bike in california....

ok so i have to register my bike now.

questions. what are the fees like. paid over 1000 in taxes for my car. is the bike tax the same?

do i need a stock exhaust
do i need chp to inspect my bike
i have integrated rear turn signals....problem?

what the skinny on register in ca basically?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you switched over to propane yet? LOL
Im following this to learn more about Americas trend setters.
As far as I'm concerned C.A.R.B. $ucks

Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Figure about 10% what you (say) paid for the bike. When I registered mine from out of state they only checked that the VIN matched, was done by a DMV employee. You have to have 7500+ miles to register a 49 state bike.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Sharkbait21
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State—Be Sure You Can Register It in California (FFVR 29)

Here is the link. It says 7,500 miles.

From DMV website:
What You Need to Know Before Buying a Vehicle from Out-of-State
The Bottom Line
If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here.

Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?
Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold to California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. 50-State or California certified vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Exceptions
As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.
Check the Label
To find out whether a car or truck is California Certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the headset or frame. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

Well I lived in Maryland. It was registered there. Moved to San Diego last month. Need to register it now

So hows that work with fees. Bike has 10000 miles on it

Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 PM
EastBay_Solo
Road Master

I bought my bike in Reno Nevada and got it registered in Nor Cal with pipes. No CHP required. They only have CHP check it out if your vin #'s are funny. That's what DMV told me when I was there.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Mike650
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if by chance you need an inspection, just ride it to dmv when you register it. DMV emplyees can perform the inspection. and as mentioned above they really only check to make sure vin's match. if you go to chp, you will need all blinkers, all working lights, stock pipes or pipes within the legal Db. level, mirros, etc. dmv isnt as strict as chp. Good luck!!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If it's your bike from MD with current registration should be under $250.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 AM
firedyna
Cruiser

I got my bike from Texas...
You have to pay taxes on the bike if you haven't done so already with the DMV. Then, you will need a vin verification. My bike 01 Fxdxt was 400 to register with the taxes included.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:36 AM
G-Lock
Tourer

My bike was registerd in Alaska I financed my bike so the price was already filled in on the title transfer for 10k. Taxes and reg were just under 1000 bux.

Quick Reply: register bike in california....