Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling my FXDB for a FXR....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 PM
ace2001
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mrnone, I'll have to check that place out next time I head up that way.

kenny, getting parts machined shouldnt be a problem for me, I have a few friends that do great work. I'm really pumped about getting one now and I'm just waiting to get this Dyna sold to really figure which FXR I'm going with. As of right now, I'm crossed between an FXRS and an FXRP. To be specific one is a 91 FXRS and the other is a 94 FXRP, both look brand new, run extremely smooth and come with ALL the original parts.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:04 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

from my experience with my chix 84 I would advise against the early ones
35mm front end works fine but all the trick windshields and accessories fit the 39mm forks like they still put on new bikes
also the shovelhead style clutch arm instead of the ball and ramp style like modern bikes use is antiquated and a little frail. it is easy and cheap to fix but fix it you will and rarely do you fix it when you want to...
we have a complete replacement setup on the bike at all times
about 25 dollars worth of small parts but it seems that the 86 and later style doesn't have the issues with it the chain final drive is messy too but easy to service...
still better machine than most
reminds me of my chainsaw in it's simplicity and power
thank you very much Mr Buell for giving us the FXR
best Harley they ever made

Old 12-20-2012, 07:08 AM
angrydude
Intermediate

Once you ride it your going to want it. FXR were the best handling Harley ever made. The were hand welded and are very strong and nimble. Mine is going to be 21 years old and it out handles my friends newer lowrider hands down.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:55 PM
ZROADSTER
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by angrydude
Once you ride it your going to want it. FXR were the best handling Harley ever made. The were hand welded and are very strong and nimble. Mine is going to be 21 years old and it out handles my friends newer lowrider hands down.

Well let me just tell ya , I bought two FXR's brand new . An FXR Disc Glide chain drive & 5-speed in 1984 . Then in 1988 I bought the love of my life an 88 FXR Low Rider Sport , black with orange stripes & black / chrome engine . That bike was just short of amazing ! With ( 3 ) three rubber engine mounts and the best ( most expensive ) frame Buell ever hand crafted for Harley , that sucker could handle as good as my 82 Suzuki GS-1100 . And you talk about smooth , sittin at a red light that engine would shake & glitter like a jewel until you gave it a little throttle then it would smooth out and not so much as a single vibration could be felt all the way to 100 mph and beyond . The frames were considered too expensive plus they didn't look like the old Harley's so not many people experienced the unbelievable smooth ride or the canyon carving ability of the FXR & that was all MOCO needed as an excuse to drop the fabled FXR. But let me tell you , if they ever bring the FXR back I'll be one of the first in line ! ! !

Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 AM
preacher13
Novice

look at the 2004 dyna superglide sport they handle amazing and they are fast bikes as well they have an 88 ci in them but i love my friends fxdx and it rides amazing here is a link for a pic of one you can throw them in a corner all day long and not have to worry about a thing

http://www.pungerer.net/pfx/HD/2004/...FXDX_l_C01.jpg

Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 AM
01fxdxt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

If handling is what you are going for,this will require ground clearance.The early 90's fxrs- sp. or fxrs-convertible might be the ones to look at.Dual disc brakes required also.If the bike is set up with factory anti-dive ,all the better.These had the longest travel suspensions of all the FXR'S.If you are willing to travel or pay a bit more for shipping,there are a bunch of low mileage ,hardly ridden ones out there.Don't think the only ones are the ones around your town.Take your time looking and strive for an original bike to start with.I travelled some miles to get a 1992 FXRS-con that some guy bought back in the 90's new and never rode.I brought it home with 1800 miles,that is correct 1800 miles.This is almost like a new bike.Runs great on regular fuel too.
I also have a factory stock FXR-3 and this has a ride not unlike a buckboard-not so good.Nothing like the FXRS.Looks purty though!
Oh, and as far as parts availability goes,these were made by the thousands and lots of aftermarket stuff too.Don't buy into the "rare" Elvis crap.Look around ,you do not have to buy parts for extremely inflated prices.And he can never corner the market on this stuff either.L8ter

Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Metal_Head75
Cruiser

Ace, if you're looking for another bike to carve corners and to perform a lil differently than you FXDB, then its suggested to check out a 1200 Bandit.

I had an '01, and it was the best cheap $2000 I've ever spent.. I rode both equally, but usually rode the Bandit solo, as passengers preferred the Dyna. For spirited back mountain roads, the Bandit was a blast. Sold it last year for funds to buy a house, but I had a helluva lot of fun on it for a few years, and got my money back when I sold it. No way I was parting with the FXD that I bought new. Would I buy another one...? Definitely

If you're open to, and accept any great motorcycle, the Bandit is a great balance of having 2 different bikes. My ol' man rode H-Ds but always told me as a kid, it doesn't matter what ya ride, as long as you're in the wind and getting bugs in your teeth.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
old youth
Intermediate

i got a 1988 sporty that was lowered and stretched and bored out to 1200 etc the tins came mainly from a lowrider, keep ya current bike buy the fxr, then you will always have a bike to ride different style and feel, don't worry about age it all adds to the experience, old bikes are best, change modify till the cows come home, do and ride what ever you like

Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Thinking about selling my FXD for a Shovelhead FLH

I was at the Long Beach swap meet this morning and saw an incredible 1984 Electra Glide Special FLH ... am thinking of selling my FXD and buying it ...

... didn't mean to hijack, but when I saw the thread it made me think about the bike I saw this morning ...

Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ace2001
haha would love to have both but cant afford buying another bike.

So I was at the stealership and got to talking to some of the guys there. I mentioned the whole fxr plan and they quickly threw fxdx and fxdxt out there and said that both would crush an fxr in the twists. It really didn't change my mind but it made me wonder is it was true. Any thoughts?
I own a Fxdxt and also have owned an Fxr. My Fxr had a wideglide front end with a 21 front wheel. This bike also had ape hanger handlebars! in my own experience the Fxdxt couldn't hold a candle to the Fxr. I think the guys at the dealership were high.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my FXDB for a FXR....