Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black denim paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Black denim paint

So, I just bought a 2013 Street Bob yesterday in black denim & was wondering how to take the reflectors off the rear fender without scratching the finish. I removed the ones off the front forks with fishing line, but was hesitant to try it on the fender because that finish looks like it will scratch fairly easy. Also, the bike came from the dealer with a 2up badlander seat, & they put 4 large squares of thick adhesive foam probably about 1" square each on top of the fender so the rear of the seat wouldn't scratch the fender. So now if I want to run a solo, I've gotta remove those pieces of foam. How would you get the sticky residue off of denim paint without messing up the paint? Thanks. Really diggin this bike, it's my 1st Dyna.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a heat gun when I had my original fender. Just heated up the end a bit and used a pick tool to grab it up and heated a little as I went along. Goo gone will take off the residue.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I used fishing line on rear reflectors also with no issues. As far as the seat pads I pulled them off and cleaned with soap and water and windex. There was still a little bit of a sheen where they were but not bad. I reused the seat bumper pads by sticking them to the underside of the 2 up seat in the same position they met the fender when I want to ride 2 up.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master

Originally Posted by blacknsilver
I used fishing line on rear reflectors also with no issues. As far as the seat pads I pulled them off and cleaned with soap and water and windex. There was still a little bit of a sheen where they were but not bad. I reused the seat bumper pads by sticking them to the underside of the 2 up seat in the same position they met the fender when I want to ride 2 up.
That's what I was planning to do to, stick em on the bottom of the seat. Thank you for the info.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master

Originally Posted by Robbie13
I used a heat gun when I had my original fender. Just heated up the end a bit and used a pick tool to grab it up and heated a little as I went along. Goo gone will take off the residue.
So goo gone won't dull it or anything? Maybe it's more durable then it looks, but it looks like it'll get messed up if you just look at it the wrong way! LOL. I'm just used to shiny paint, never had any experience with the denim finish.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 AM
thoner7
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use peanut butter on the foam adhesive. Peel the foam off, smear on the PB, leave it on for a day or two and wipe it off.

Good as new.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master

IMO Use a fender bib instead of the HD dumbass "PADS" that are nothing but over priced stick on rubber crap.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Ernst
Advanced

I used dental floss and goo gone. Took a little elbow grease with an old undershirt to get it all off. The ones on the painted rear fender didn't come off nearly as easy as the ones on the forks.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 475 Likes on 277 Posts

I've used a heat gun and WD40 for clean up...have to be really patient with the heat and allow it to penetrate down to the metal and soften the glue completely; even de-badged my pickup that way.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 AM
wideopen4life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on heatgun/hair dryer & wd40. Wd is guaranteed to not dull the denim finish. After you peel reflector off, use heat source to heat/soften remaining residue up again and you should just be able to rub it right off.

Quick Reply: Black denim paint