Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A BLUE Day

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007 | 08:14 PM
clayman
|
Road Master
Default A BLUE Day

I just got back from the big city and what i thought was wrongappears to be true. I was going to do the service myself then i discovered that alot of my spokes were loose, so i figured i gotta have them look at the primary bearing so i will take the ferry ride and have them look at it. Well they started my bike and heard the noise ive been hearing and said there is definatley something wrong in there. I would imagine its the inner bearing that weve been hearing so much about. The good part is the dealership i deal with is great and go out of there way to make things right BUT the bad news is my bike is on the mainland and i am 2 hours across the water. I am going through withdrawls, we have been having a stretch of incredible whether and today has to be the best day so far. I will update as i get info from the dealer.

Old 02-01-2007 | 08:36 PM
R Racing
Tourer
Default RE: A BLUE Day

Sorry to hear that!Just so you don't feel so bad its sleeting and snowing here in MD.[][&:]

Jim

Old 02-01-2007 | 09:54 PM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: clayman

I just got back from the big city and what i thought was wrongappears to be true. I was going to do the service myself then i discovered that alot of my spokes were loose, so i figured i gotta have them look at the primary bearing so i will take the ferry ride and have them look at it. Well they started my bike and heard the noise ive been hearing and said there is definatley something wrong in there. I would imagine its the inner bearing that weve been hearing so much about. The good part is the dealership i deal with is great and go out of there way to make things right BUT the bad news is my bike is on the mainland and i am 2 hours across the water. I am going through withdrawls, we have been having a stretch of incredible whether and today has to be the best day so far. I will update as i get info from the dealer.
Yeah clay, bad deal. I wouldn't be able to handle it.

Ya got your project, get on it.

Keep us updated on the inner bearing, if that is what it is. Probably.

This is stinky. RECALL.

Just replaced mine, it was good, but I had to open it up and have a look.
I'll open it up again and have another look in another 8000.
Peace of mind.

See if you can get the bearing or a picture. I'm curious.

Hope there is not a lot of other collateral damage.

Hopefully it is somethin else.

mud

Old 02-01-2007 | 10:25 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior

Hey Mud,

Is there alot of work involved in just checking the bearing and seeing that its ok? Im almost deaf so I'd prefer to rely on my eyes and not my ears,....LOL

John

Old 02-01-2007 | 11:14 PM
clayman
|
Road Master

Hey Mudd, yea its a bit of a bummer but a least its not july and im down for a couple of weeks. I will ask for the parts that are pooched and post pics if they givem up. Im almost thinkin about gettin the 95 kit done since its there and we got another 2 months of crappy weather. Problem is i cant commit to what i want to do, but the dealer said that if they do the kit they will back it up as long as my bikes under warrenty so that is kinda hard to beet.
Im going looking for a fender tommorow and some rod to make the strut, time to break out the welder and grinder and smoke the house out

Old 02-01-2007 | 11:24 PM
jca_54
Tourer

For the inner primary bearing, I wouldn't think the bike would need to be under warranty. My owners manual say's replace it every 15,000 miles; period. It was my understanding that would be taken care of by HD. I realize that was recently discontinued because it was no longer necessary (yeah right), but I thought that was only for bikes sold after that point.

Old 02-01-2007 | 11:36 PM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: jmbear328

Hey Mud,

Is there alot of work involved in just checking the bearing and seeing that its ok? Im almost deaf so I'd prefer to rely on my eyes and not my ears,....LOL
John
It is a bit of work jBear, but it was well worth itto me, for the peace of mind.

I sleep better now. If you watch the magnet when you change the fluid in
that cavity, it will be too late when you notice the jetsam accumulated there.

The exploratory surgery was not bad at all, but, I would not recommend itto a novice.
Patience, a lot of experience, proper equipment, and a dash of finesse is required.

Toughest part for me was removing the race. I had to build a puller.
Unusual situation, in that there is only .125 inch available for the puller to get behind the race,
which is let back into the clutch hub/assembly cavity.

About $80 for parts, but I reused the $30 and the $20 gasket, so I have those two on the shelf
if I need them when I have another look, in another 8000.

My little peabrain says that the segmented style roller bearing is a poor choice
in this application. I would have liked to had seen a full complement of rollers.

mud

Old 02-02-2007 | 01:57 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: clayman

Hey Mudd, yea its a bit of a bummer but a least its not july and im down for a couple of weeks. I will ask for the parts that are pooched and post pics if they givem up. Im almost thinkin about gettin the 95 kit done since its there and we got another 2 months of crappy weather. Problem is i cant commit to what i want to do, but the dealer said that if they do the kit they will back it up as long as my bikes under warrenty so that is kinda hard to beet.
Im going looking for a fender tommorow and some rod to make the strut, time to break out the welder and grinder and smoke the house out
Positive attitude clay.

Yeah, go 95, now'sa good time, winter in the Great NorthWest.

Lookin forward to seeing the project as it moves along.

Let us know what's up with the inner primary when they open it up.

Pisspoor, but, shiitt happens with new designs.
I'd like to see the moco ownup and do a recall.

Maybe it's not called for. Mine was OK, after 8K.

mud

Old 02-03-2007 | 02:56 AM
clayman
|
Road Master

Well its funny how now that my bike is at the dealer all my long awaited parts show up. In two days i have got my new battery cover, coil cover,electrical panel cover, 11 inch progressives and the front lowering kit. Man i waited almost a month and the day my bike gets sentenced to the dealer the ups gods decide to smile on me. Good timing guys. Still no news on the bearing issue, the service guy said that he wanted to wait and put one of hissenior techs on it, they started today but no news, hopefully tommorow.

Old 02-03-2007 | 04:44 AM
Oilslick
Tourer

Clay,

How many milesbefore the bearing let go and what primary oil were you using.

Just trying to find out if there is any rhime or reason behind the failures.

Quick Reply: A BLUE Day