Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Tach on 06' dyna

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Installing Tach on 06' dyna

Psycho -
I think i remember from your pics that you have a PCIIIusb?

Keep in mind that you have to connect to pin 3 on the PCIII connector that goes to where the original ECM connector went!

Hope that makes sense.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I couldn't get a signal from number three pin on the speedo, so looks like it's off to the ecm.

I've got the service manual Kpreese, but it's pretty silent on the subject of tach feed for whatever reason.

I'll see if I can find the number three pin on the ECM next.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Psycho
Road Master

Well, the plot thickens.

There is already a wire in pin hole three on the ECM connector[:@]

Old 02-02-2007, 10:47 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree,.... my service manuel did not help one bit with installing my tach. Ok,.... here would be my suggestion. 1st find out what assessory you have in the #3 spot in your ECM harness. It's typically not used in OEM. As mentioned earlier, if you have a Power Commander that is probably what you have in there. Since all your looking for is a tach signal, you can just tap into the wire that has been added into the #3 spot.

John

Old 02-02-2007, 10:51 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To restate what glide 05 said. With a PCIII the pin will be in place at the ecm. Go to the other end of the cable and there is a dupe connector,the pin should be empty there. Not that it did me any good,still didn't get a signal. I'm still trying to sort mine out.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 AM
wadejesu
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

If you have a PCM 3, You can install their new LCD display which has a Tach built in.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:57 AM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't get to mine right now - but 6 months ago I was going to add a tach and PCIII. I emailed dynojet and they said they did not use the tach signal coming off the ecm. This may have changed for 06, don't know. I got the PCIII and installed it, but never looked to see if there was anything in the pin3 hole.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:27 AM
kpreese
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Psycho

Well, the plot thickens.

Sorry bud, just trying to help and probably only confused matters. I had NO idea about the PCIII plugging into that main connector.

And I know the service manual doesn't identify a tach signal, it is TOTALLY undocumented in the wiring diagrams, etc. I just meant it is priceless for taking apart that connector without breaking something, showing pin numbering for the different connectors, etc.

Perhaps the PCIII repeats the signal to pin 3 on it's output, the thing that your bike's harness plugs into? They may have cheaped out on doing that since they figured not many people know what pin #3 even does. Tommay says he had no luck with this.

Good luck!

Kevin

Old 02-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: kpreese

ORIGINAL: Psycho

Well, the plot thickens.

Sorry bud, just trying to help and probably only confused matters. I had NO idea about the PCIII plugging into that main connector.

And I know the service manual doesn't identify a tach signal, it is TOTALLY undocumented in the wiring diagrams, etc. I just meant it is priceless for taking apart that connector without breaking something, showing pin numbering for the different connectors, etc.

Perhaps the PCIII repeats the signal to pin 3 on it's output, the thing that your bike's harness plugs into? They may have cheaped out on doing that since they figured not many people know what pin #3 even does. Tommay says he had no luck with this.

Good luck!

Kevin
Hey Kevin, I followed it through with my handy dandy multimeter, and it does indeed have continuity on through to the connector on the other end of the pcIII. I tapped into it over on the other side, and hardwired the tach to the battery temporarily, and I do indeed now have a tach signal, and a working tach.

Now I've just got to go back and do everything right.

Thanks a bunch. You guys have been really helpful with this. I'd have never known to hunt down pin 3 on the ecm to begin with if it weren't for this resource.