Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes for my WG - help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Pole
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apes for my WG - help!

I'd like to go higher on my handlebar but I'm having a problem to determine what bars have I got at the moment.
Can you guys tell what size they are ( stock ones? ) just by looking at the picture?

I have tried to do my own investigation but different websites tell how to measure the bars differently.

I have also taken few photos of the handlebars, just in case.
To me they look like 10" high, 1 1/4" thick but are they narrow-bottom ( I think they are )?

I have also checked the freeplay on the wiring and cables.
Wiring seems to be ok and have a lot of slack ( perhaps somebody in the past has had higher bars fitted? ):

The clutch cable has lets's say 2" slack but the throttle and brake cables have very little to nothing.

How high do you think I could get away without fiddling with the wiring?
I understand that any bars higher than I have at the moment, will require longer cables &brake line?

What apes would look best on Wide Glide, narrow- or 14" wide bottom ones?

BTW I love the look of 16" apes...

Last edited by Pole; 11-24-2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-2012, 03:55 PM
MacBean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those are stock. i am running 16's

Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would guess 10's is what you have. I would recommend going with 14 or 16"

Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Sledge
Road Master

Those are 10" rise, hill country custom cycles sells a pre wired set including correct length cables in several heights. I went with 18's and live them. Very easy install when they are pre wired.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Wykd
Tourer

yeah those are 10" with 2" risers = 12" total. You could get by with maybe putting some 12" apes on there without changing anything. The wiring is plenty long inside the frame, but anything higher than 12" would be iffy at best.

wiring is the easy part imo... take a long piece of string and feed it thru the bottom and use a shop vac on one bar end and plug the other with a rag. It will suck the string thru and then you can pull wire behind the string... rinse and repeat both sides.

Last edited by Wykd; 11-22-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree...10"

Old 11-23-2012, 09:29 AM
wideopen4life
Tourer

Those are definitely 10", I just pulled a set off my wide glide. I went with todds cycles 17" apes with burly wire extensions and stainless lines throughout. Unless your new apes are 1 1/4" you will need new risers. I picked up a set from a SB on here. Todds cycles are nice, you get the 17" rise, yet they drop down a bit so you're not reaching so high. I'll try and get some pics later today.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 AM
Pole
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for all replies guys, much appreciated!
I have been busy fiddling with other parts on my Dyna, but let's get back to the subject.

Could anyone point me to the online place, where I could get 1 1/4" thick ( all over diameter ) apes?
Wherever I go, I can only find ones with 1" thick "centre section".
I just don't fancy spending extra on risers as I like the 1 1/4" stock ones.

Originally Posted by wideopen4life
Those are definitely 10", I just pulled a set off my wide glide. I went with todds cycles 17" apes with burly wire extensions and stainless lines throughout. Unless your new apes are 1 1/4" you will need new risers. I picked up a set from a SB on here. Todds cycles are nice, you get the 17" rise, yet they drop down a bit so you're not reaching so high. I'll try and get some pics later today.
Pictures would be very nice, thanks.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Highhorse78
Intermediate

Check out lachoppers.com they have exactly what you looking for. 1 1/4 all the way through the riser clamp area. Pretty close to the same dimensions as stock as far as pullback center width ect. I believe they have them in 12, 14, and 16. I can post up a link when I get home.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Brutus Maximus
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

You can take a look at Carlini bars; carlinidesign.com. Most of their bars come in 1.25" or 1.5" that are stepped down on the bottom. They're a little pricey, but undeniable quality.

Quick Reply: Apes for my WG - help!