Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob Mid Controls fit WG??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Dynafrom818
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Street Bob Mid Controls fit WG??

I want to change out my forwards. My legs are too short. I found some mid's from a Street Bob 2011 on eBay. Just wondering if they will fit my 2007 Wide Glide?

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 AM
motoxer42
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I did this mod and It was the best thing I've done.

Attached Thumbnails Street Bob Mid Controls fit WG??-img_0785.jpg   Street Bob Mid Controls fit WG??-img_0789.jpg  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 AM
kmontague
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

nice looking wide glide bro!

Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I am pretty sure you will have to swap the entire inner and outer primary cases (not 100% sure about the inner) ... my understanding is the Wide Glide primary cases do not have the channel through which the Street Bob shift lever is mounted ...

It can be quite a bit of work since you have to remove the primary chain drive to remove the inner primary case ... that entails removing the clutch basket from the main shaft of the trans and the compensator sprocket from the motor drive shaft ... not saying it isn't a 'do it yourself' job ... just can be pretty involved ...

If you do a search, I think there are threads with 'how to' on removing primary drive and inner primary case ...

Good luck ...

R/
'Chop

Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Dynafrom818
Tourer

Ah crap! You're right. I forgot about the primary cover. I wonder if I can drill out a hole, or will I have to purchase a new primary? Ugh.!! Might have to take it to the dealer, which I know they will probably charge me 2 hours at min.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Like I said ... it can be a DIY if you are mechanically inclined and have a set of basic tools ...

There are just a couple of considerations ... the threads on the motor drive shaft and trans main shaft are threaded opposite (see photos below) ... you'll need a locking tool to hold the shafts from turning when you are removing the nuts ... the MoCo has a stair-step type wedge you lock into the teeth between the chain and sprockets or you can get a bar of steel stock and put it between the two sprockets and the one will lock the other in place ... see photos illustrating it below ...

(note finger pointing the direction to turn the wrench to loosen the nut ... counterclockwise for the motor shaft and clockwise for the transmission shaft ...)

"the locking tool is simply a 7" long x 1" wide x 1/4" flat stock" ...

Here is the thread on 'how to' from which the photos and quote above were 'lifted' ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ary-cover.html

While the primary cases will set you back a few 'C-notes' ... you can probably get your money back if you resell your stock take offs ... or post a thread in the classified ads and trade someone who wants to put forward controls on their mid-control bike ...

I guess one of the key considerations is convenience versus money ... how much down time and how many evenings of wrenching you're willing to trade for the labor rates at the dealership or local independent shop (indy) ...

A couple of other ideas for ya ...

- I've seen a couple of threads where someone referred to a product "reduced reach forwards" ... I don't know anything about them from personal experience; but, thought I'd put the concept out there for you to 'run to ground' ... might make it so you could avoid having to swap out the primary but get your setup where you are comfortable riding ...

- You could get some mid-control peg mounts and mount a second set of pegs (even as you leave the shifter and brake on the forward control position) ... this would allow you to move your feet back to the mid position where you might feel more comfortable during manuevering ... give you options as to where to place your feet while riding ... would also avoid swapping out the primary ...

- You could get some footboards ... the MoCo has introduced a kit for Dynas with the FLD Switchback footboards ... that might be another good option ... alternatively, on a bike with forwards, I think you can use your forward control parts and just pick up part of the kit to complete the setup ...

Keep a good thought ...

R/
'Chop

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 11-22-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:22 AM
beagle01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just fitted some floorboards , similar to the switchback, on the dyna and they're great. Another option is to fit some heel rests to the forwards, these make life very comfortable, as it brings the foot placement back a bit. Both options are probably cheaper and easier then fitting mid gear shift controls to the bike. The exhaust system you have may influence what you do as well.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:10 AM
arejay86
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As your finding out, the the forward to mid control swap will be, well as you can see, less than fun... but, i believe that if the forwards are to far, they do have reduced reach, as well as you could get a diff seat to put u closer to the bars/foot controls... just an idea if you dont wanna delve into ur primary

Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Dynafrom818
Tourer

Thanks guys. These are all great and helpful options. Let me do some more research and see what will work best for me.