Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timetable for teardown has moved up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Matt Derrickson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahah have fun with that wiring lol let me know how it goes and your opinions on it
and where did you get the jockey from

Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Derrickson
hahah have fun with that wiring lol let me know how it goes and your opinions on it
and where did you get the jockey from
La briola

Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Matt Derrickson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured it out about 30 seconds after posting ..Behold the google

Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,076 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Looking good!

Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

ok the moment everyone's been waiting for...

started installing the grip ace today!

i'll say this...starting was the hardest part. i didn't/couldnt figure out how to go about it.

i took apart the stock control housings first

did a quick mock up of how the brake side is gonna look when i'm all done, just to tell myself the whole deal is gonna be worth it...

i don't think you HAVE to but i removed my handlebars. i snipped the wires going into my bars where they enter the bottom of the bars and pulled all the wiring out of the bars.

i did this because the grip ace module makes it so that no wires go back thru the bars. the only wires that have to be run internally are the lead that comes from the grip ace buttons, and the wires that come off of your turn signal bulbs. so for the "wiring nightmare" this project seemed to be, it's not all that bad.

i pulled all the wiring through the top triple tree, then back thru the neck and pulled it all down out of the backbone.

these wires are what splice into the grip ace module wiring. here's the 16 wires that come from the grip ace module. there's a violet wire that the directions say "N/A"...whatever that means, and a white wire that doesn't get used on harleys with self canceling turn signals.

14 wires from the HD controls...14 wires from grip ace...PERFECT!

here is the grip with the buttons installed and the lead that comes from the buttons to plug into the module under the seat. i also attached a picture of the module under the seat.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

i have to pick up a few things for the bars before they go back on, so tonight i'll tackle soldering together the wiring for the grip ace.

i need 2 mirror mounts and a banjo bolt brake light switch.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About time! Been on the edge of my seat here.

Last edited by Robbie13; 01-26-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

anticipation makes it all the more worth it robbie!

i've been dying to crack into this job, but i've been feeling like **** lately, been laid up on the couch for the better part of the whole month of january.

anyway, here's how i finished off tonight.

got all the wires from the grip ace soldered into the wiring harness for the bike.

before i soldered everything in i kinda mocked the wires up, electrical taping them together until i was confident everything was where it needed to be. i was still pretty unsure so i called grip ace and got the owner on the phone. what a nice guy and super helpful dude. he stayed on the phone and ran down the entire order of wires for me. what goes where and wat i need and don't need. what an awesome guy and great customer service!

i moved the module from under the seat because of how close it was to my power commander. i epoxied it to the back of the battery box.

this picture shows how hidden it is, how the wiring bundle comes up from behind the battery and along the frame.

here's what i have left...

turn signal wiring gets run back up into the bars to the signal mirrors.

brake light switch wire gets run up the bar as well, to the banjo bolt brake light switch ill be running.

have to wait a bit for the bars to go back on as i'm waiting for mirror mounts and my brake light switch to go on.

while i have them off and have nothing connected to the top tree i'm going to tear down my front end and do my tree swap. when that's all done it all goes back together.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job Toast! What is the purpose of the module? I'm assuming it houses all the relays etc. to make the buttons work?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Robbie13
Nice job Toast! What is the purpose of the module? I'm assuming it houses all the relays etc. to make the buttons work?
it's basically a mini computer controlling all the functions of the wires.

when i spoke to the guy he explained it very simply and very well...all you're doing is removing the switches from the system and replacing them with a control module that takes care of all their functions.

Quick Reply: Timetable for teardown has moved up!