Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble Starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Aylor70
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Starting

Hey guys, so a month or so ago I tried to start my bike and all I heard was the starter click. So I decided that I would throw a battery tender on it. I had the tender on it since saturday, and the light was green which the instructions say is just the float mode or whatever you want to call it. Today I filled it with gas, put some Sta-Bil in it and went to start it. It turned over, but wouldn't catch. The light then went red on the tender, almost like the battery was dead again. Anyone know what my problem could be? I am avoiding a new battery, but thats the only thing I can think of. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:33 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chances are it's the battery. Battery tenders are meant to trickle charge a good battery and not really meant to charge a dead one.

Take the battery out and take it to autozone or one of those places and have them check it.

You need to ride that thing....get it out of the garage

Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Aylor70
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rooti
Chances are it's the battery. Battery tenders are meant to trickle charge a good battery and not really meant to charge a dead one.

Take the battery out and take it to autozone or one of those places and have them check it.

You need to ride that thing....get it out of the garage
I would love to. I'm hauling corn all day every day for the next month and I live in ND, so we are just about out of days to ride up here.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When I try to start mine without un-plugging it , will sometimes do just that and I think it's because the charger takes a read when you are asking the battery to give all she's got. Mine does that and my batt is new from this summer.Rooti is right though the best thing is to take it right off and have it checked.
Also if it is cold where you are the engine will turn over much slower this time of year.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Aylor70
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I think I will give it one more try and if I get nothing take it in. I noticed when I got new exhaust, intake and a tune that it doesn't start up as quick either. Kinda worries me a little but I think I read that its normal. But I wonder if that effects it now too.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Try pressing the start button before the fuel pump stops priming, it is common with a stage 1.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Aylor70
Intermediate

Just got back from Batteries Plus and AutoZone. They both said my battery is good. Earlier today when it was fully charged I tried starting it again, and it just didn't seem to crank hard enough or for very long. Any other ideas?

Old 11-09-2012, 05:28 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I would do easy things first.
Get battery charge topped off again.
Dis-connect Power Commander and try to start it.
Did you wash the bike recently?
Put fresh gas in without the Sta-Bil crap.
Why was your starter clicking in the first place? My bike can sit for two months and it turns over fine. This is why even though they say your battery is OK, it might not be.
If it's turning over OK look at the PC and gas.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a close look at your bonding jumpers (grounds) on your battery and on the chassis (where the Batt. ground goes to the frame). Mine is on the top of the Tranny case.

The corrosion that causes a failure cann't be seen so, go after them with a small stainless wire brush.

I've had that happen before. (push start and all I got for afew seconds was " Click, click-click, click" then as the arcing at the lug heated it, it would make better contact and, allow enough current to make things go.)

Just a though....Hope it works for you.

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Last edited by Harley Tim; 11-09-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:40 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,004 Likes on 755 Posts

+1 on the battery ground connection, it can make a big difference. Also check your starter relay contacts. Clean them up if needed and use dielectric grease. Those relays sometimes don't last very long and you can get one from an auto parts store for not a lot of money.

Quick Reply: Trouble Starting