Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide or Nightster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012 | 01:14 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

Street bob is about as raw a big twin as your going to get. Sb has the 29° rake as opposed to the 34 or 32 degree rake on the wg. Some argue that matters in handling some don't or can't tell the difference. Other than that the bikes are essentially similar.

I chose a fat bob fwiw, dual front disc brakes are a maaassssiiivvveeee difference over the single disc of my old fatboy. And I love it!

Old 11-06-2012 | 06:08 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

Wide Glide by a mile.... Bigger engine, more room, bigger gas tank, better ride, easier to ride 2up, more available accessories.

Old 11-06-2012 | 06:29 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by louisianaSVT2001
Wide Glide by a mile.... Bigger engine, more room, bigger gas tank, better ride, easier to ride 2up, more available accessories.
Bigger Engine...but more weight. Power to weight they are about equal.
Bigger tank but bigger engine means poorer fuel ecconomy. Only expect about 30-40 miles per tank more out of the Dyna.
More available accessories? Have you ever LOOKED for Sportster accessories? It's about tied in this regard.

More room and easier to ride 2-up I defineatly agree with.

Old 11-10-2012 | 11:24 PM
sothai
|
Tourer
Default OK, whittled down options, so WG, Softail, or Softail FXST...?

Right, my options are now down to 3 bikes.

HD Bangkok has a 2012 WG at a 17% discount and there is this Fatboy:

http://www.bahtsold.com/en/view/harl...hailand-100548

and this Softail FXST:

http://www.bahtsold.com/en/view/2006...il-fxst-101398

So which of these and why? Guess I am asking for pros and cons here really.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by sothai; 11-11-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2012 | 11:38 AM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

I own a Wide Glide and a 1200 Sporty. They are totally different bikes in feel and ride. If money is not an issue I'd go with a Wide Glide most of the time. The Wide Glide is more comfortable for long rides and is a smoother feeling bike. The 1200 is the essence of motorcycling and I love it, but wouldn't want to ride it cross country.

Old 11-11-2012 | 09:13 PM
sothai
|
Tourer

OK, many thanks! So, to take the argument (?) one stage further, would you go for new, or an older, "taxes paid" bike?

My thinking here is that the new WG is great, but I can't stand the stock pipe, whereas a 3-10 year old one would have many things already upgraded, leaving me the aesthetic tweaks. I could afford either, but who wants to burn dosh unnecessarily, eh?

Is the Softail too much of a "lump" then?

Old 11-11-2012 | 09:48 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sothai
OK, many thanks! So, to take the argument (?) one stage further, would you go for new, or an older, "taxes paid" bike?

My thinking here is that the new WG is great, but I can't stand the stock pipe, whereas a 3-10 year old one would have many things already upgraded, leaving me the aesthetic tweaks. I could afford either, but who wants to burn dosh unnecessarily, eh?

Is the Softail too much of a "lump" then?
If you have the cash then buy a new bike with warranty. You never know what issues an older bike that's out of warranty will have. Plus, half the fun, at least for me, is customizing my bikes to make them mine. As for the stock pipes, that's the first thing most people change out anyway.

The Softails are great bikes too. You just have to figure out which bike is best for you. Sit on them and ride them if you can before you buy.

Old 11-12-2012 | 11:36 AM
J.Sizer
Tourer

Wide Gilde

Old 11-12-2012 | 12:50 PM
whitewolf001
Tourer

I'll go with the biased opinion... Street Bob.

Old 11-13-2012 | 08:27 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master

I kinda' dig the Superglide custom. definately the most bang for your buck in all the HD line-up. Lots of bling, great handling, power to spare, and great two up riding. i rode all the dyna's and a couple of softails, rode home on a Superglide.

Quick Reply: Wide Glide or Nightster?