Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide or Nightster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012 | 05:24 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea, both those numbers are where the bike could run out of gas at any moment...actually the 150 mile number IS where the bike ran out of gas but that's another story. I had got to know the bike and the route so well that I could gauge it to within 100ths of a gallon. Nothing like filling up a 3.3 gallon tank with 3.312 gallons of fuel. LOL

Old 11-05-2012 | 07:36 PM
sothai
|
Tourer

Interesting discussion Gents and thanks very much for the input.

The background here is that I found a Nightster in Bangkok at about 75% of the going rate for an '09, but I had been looking at a 2012 WG that HD BKK have at a discount, as its now last year's model and, apparently, they don't sell we'll as the Thais don't like them. I likely missed out on it though, as some dodgy Frenchman went to see it the other day and, at the price, if he didn't buy it, I'd be surprised.

I'd happily go secondhand, but at the moment the only one for sale is a '94 and the seller wants unbelievably crazy money. Ok, lots of toys, but we are still talking an 18 year old bike here.

Patience is not a virtue I ever possessed unfortunately.

Is a WG unwieldy, compared to a Nightster? I mean, like I have to actually steer my 48 and never had to do that on a bike before. They could have named the 48 a WLA 2012!

Old 11-05-2012 | 09:44 PM
BLK107
Advanced

First harley was an 08 nightster, then bought a '10 wide glide. Had them sitting in the garage together for about two years and found myself choosing to take out the wide glide more (ended up selling the nightster this year). I'm 6'2" and 200lbs so the comfort and fitment of the wide glide was better for me. The nightster was a blast to ride and would take my wide glide side by side with stage 1 mods. Nightster handling was great too. If your even thinking off putting a passenger on the nightster- don't, ur female half will hate you! It's uncomfortable enough 1-up after 75-100 miles. IMO you can't beat the looks or the out-of-the box handling and performance of the nighty, but in the long run the wide glide is a better choice, especially when you give it the Fuel Moto 107 treatment!

Old 11-06-2012 | 03:59 AM
Scarfmace
Advanced

It all depends on what you want from your ride.
If you like speedy trips at the end of your workday, and looking to relax and take the stress away you cant beat a nightster.
If you like doing more long rides in the weekends, your more comfortable on a dyna (any dyna for that matter)

The sportster

+ handeling
+ looks
+ fun
+ less wheight
+ better if you are small
+ price
- small fuell tank
- bad stock rear suspention
- two up riding
- comfort on long rides

The Wide glide

- handeling not as good as the nightster (due to weight and longer frame)
- bigger and heavier so little easy to park etc.
+ comfort on long rides
+ two up riding
+ bigger fuell tank
+ better if your tall

Ride both and then decide! (also: forward controls on the nightster where a huge improvement for me! I'm 6"3 and rode about 30.000km on my nighster for the last 3 years. I now have a FXDF)

Old 11-06-2012 | 05:30 AM
WVNightster
Road Captain

I have owned both,at times I miss my 09 Nightster but I wouldn't trade my 12 WG for it.Would have loved to been able to keep my N for solo trips and short rides,but most of my riding is 2 up,and as much as you try a N will never be comfortable for any long periods of 2 up riding.I'm not ******* the N cuz it would eat my dynas lunch,but the N had some "work" and my WG is pretty much stock right now.Going from a bike with hardly any rake to a raked out front end will have a little bit of a learning curve,but after a while it feels as nimble handling to me as my N.Really a apple to oranges comparison,ride em both and let the bike choose you.On a side note I have not had any real problems with my WG(front master cylinder leak),but when looking at the N check for signs of a leak around the front rocker box and around the shifter shaft seal.Mine had both as well as most others I looked at.One other little detail not mentioned yet is it's a little cheaper to do fluid changes on the sporty 2 holes N,vs 3 holes Dyna.Good luck.

Old 11-06-2012 | 07:48 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Robotech
Cruising at 70 I think the most I got out of my WG was 215 miles on 4.6 gal. Same commute on the Sportster (though granted carbed) after the 1200 conversion was 186 miles on 3.3 gal. So about 30 miles more out of the 1.3 gallons on the Dyna.

Worst I've got on the Sportster is 150 miles to 3.3 gal ("cruising" at 90 on my way back from Vegas) and worst on the Dyna is about 186 miles ("cruising" at 90 coming back from Phoenix). Again, about 36 miles more out of the Dyna.
i commuted on the WG all last summer and would average 205 per tank
with the least being 190 for one fill but i always had plenty of gas left in the tank and think i could have stretched it to 220 or 230 if i had to..

the nightster no matter how i rode it would always need fuel at right around 100 miles when commuting, best i ever got on a highway run we did was 115 and i had about 1/3 of a gallon left

Old 11-06-2012 | 07:49 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior

Street Bob is a better comparison to a Sporty, but that still isn't apples to apples. The Sporty is a completely different animal...ride them both for about 30 miles, you'll see. I went with the Dyna for power, size and looks.

Old 11-06-2012 | 08:11 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

My 2 cents. there is no comparison, WG , 24/7

Old 11-06-2012 | 08:24 AM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
i commuted on the WG all last summer and would average 205 per tank
with the least being 190 for one fill but i always had plenty of gas left in the tank and think i could have stretched it to 220 or 230 if i had to..

the nightster no matter how i rode it would always need fuel at right around 100 miles when commuting, best i ever got on a highway run we did was 115 and i had about 1/3 of a gallon left
Maybe my problem isnt the bike but my right hand, lol.

Originally Posted by robotech
Yea, both those numbers are where the bike could run out of gas at any moment...actually the 150 mile number IS where the bike ran out of gas but that's another story. I had got to know the bike and the route so well that I could gauge it to within 100ths of a gallon. Nothing like filling up a 3.3 gallon tank with 3.312 gallons of fuel. LOL
Robotech, you have more ***** than I do bro As soon as I hit 150 miles on the wide glide I start having anxiety and have to find a gas station. I'm sure I would be the same at 100 miles on a sporty.

Sothai, I would definitely try to ride both if you can to give you a better understanding of the differences between the 2 bikes. Sorry for thread jacking

Last edited by CB024; 11-06-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-06-2012 | 12:28 PM
thoner7
Tourer

I have a nightster right now but am considering getting the WG over the winter/next spring.

What I love about the Nightster is how raw it is. It is pure simple motorcycle. Very quick and nimble. It is really easy to handle and is a ton of run. What I dont like about it is its a little small for me being 6'1'', long rides are kinda a pain, and I really could use that 6th gear.

I need to test ride the WG to see if I can retain that rawness factor ( I will never own a bagger). I want to see if its quick/fast/nimble/fun ride too. If I can gain that 6th gear and highway stabilty while retaining the above then it would be an easy decision for me, but I don't think I would give that up if I thought the WG was a dog (relative term). What are your guys opinions on that?

Quick Reply: Wide Glide or Nightster?