Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake advice from the Dyna guys please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Intake advice from the Dyna guys please!

Hi all. wanted to ask you guys about some intakes. I know there is an intake forum, but I want to hear form the Dyna guys.

Ultimately I want to get the SE Heavy breather in black. Alas, I have no cash on me at the moment. i do have an amazon account to abuse hehe. I have a set of VH big shots in black and a fuelpak. I havent installed them yet; waiting till after breakin to do so.

The fuelpak website states that I am ok to run the stock intake and filter with exhaust, but the bike will run a little on the rich side till I do add a high flow intake.

I have the ability to get either an Arlen Ness Big Sucker, or the K&N version of Harley's SE heavy breather. do any one have any thoughts on either? I dont mind holding off on an intake until I have cash for the HB, but should I spend $100 now for a big sucker, or forget about the HB and go with the K&N?

decisions decisions!

Old 11-04-2012, 11:56 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a SE HD breather and really like it so thats a vote from me. You can see it on my bike in my sig pic.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a s&s stealth on mine, the Ness big sucker and the SE breathers are fine also take a look at DK Customs they have a outlaw breather kit that is pretty cool also

Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 AM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Have the Big Sucker now… It’s big and works well.But,will be switching to Joker Machines soon though.Shows more motor ya know?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:15 AM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 214 Likes on 156 Posts

Just put this on my Super and I know it's chrome but seems to work nice and I like the look.

Attached Thumbnails Intake advice from the Dyna guys please!-photo.jpg  
Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 AM
FatBobJob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard anything really bad about either the heavy breather or big sucker... I personally have a Ness big sucker on my bike I used to have a k&n cone intake... IMO the circular intakes are the way to go. the Cones perform well on the dyno. But if u really want to get technical the cones have a blunt tip which air hits and is forced around the sides at higher speeds rather than the round intakes that take direct draw from the front as well as top bottom and back... But unless your looking at it critically it doesnt really matter... As long as you stay away from the forced air intakes like forcewinders which are very hard to tune for due to the range of air from a stand still to when your moving. But everyone has their own theories... If you like the cone style I'd go with the heavy breather if you like cylindrical id go with the big sucker... If anyone opposes my opinions feel free to dispute me I'm always open to learn something new... If I went too into depth on this I'm sorry but these are just what I took into consideration when I made my decision.good luck man I'm sure you'll be happy with either...

Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I use the K&N air charger on mine... love it.. it touches my right knee a little bit while riding but not enough to interfere with having a good ride....

but Im hoping a seat change from stock that will put me back further and deeper into the bike will change all that..

Attached Thumbnails Intake advice from the Dyna guys please!-k-and-n.jpg  
Old 11-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

To add to what fatbobjob is saying, I like the cone because it sits away from the hot motor enough (IMO) to get a cooler shot of ambient air than say one mounted close(r) up to the engine.. at least at lower speeds.. (now if its 110 degrees outside it wont matter much either way.. lol) but that was my thinking & reasoning for going with the cone..

I have also had a few instances (running sh1tty gas mainly) of having a backfire through the TB.. (No fun trust me.. instant loss of power during a low speed turn one night.. heh) and I had an open element close to the engine style intake.. didnt get burned.. but I sure felt the heat..

I also avoided the forcewinders like FBJ described for the same reasons (tuning) ...

Cheers...

Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 PM
FatBobJob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Frank Castle;10596362]To add to what fatbobjob is saying, I like the cone because it sits away from the hot motor enough (IMO) to get a cooler shot of ambient air than say one mounted close(r) up to the engine.. at least at lower speeds.. (now if its 110 degrees outside it wont matter much either way.. lol) but that was my thinking & reasoning for going with the cone..

Thumbs up man I never thought about the distance from the motor and cooler air... Kind of a why didn't I think of that moment...

Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I am running the Arlen Ness Big Sucker, Works well, never had any issues so far with the V&H pipes, FuelPak, and SE255 cams.
The nice thing about the round filters is that there are many options on covers. Gives the bike a personal touch.
Make your own, have one made, or purchase one of the many styles of your choice.

Quick Reply: Intake advice from the Dyna guys please!