Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stabilizer and winter storage planning

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 AM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stabilizer and winter storage planning

I bought from the HD dealer the fuel stabilizer. Guy at counter says this is for 10 gal tank and if I had a 5 gal tank (I have the 4.7 gal tank) to only pour 1/2 of the stabilizer bottle in the tank and fill up with gas prior to storage. Was wondering if you all do use 1/2 of the stabilizer container for a standard tank?

And I read probably last year where some people leave their bike on a motorcycle jack for the winter storage because not doing so would slightly damage tires if bike is not kept moving from same spot regularly. Who leaves their bike on a bike jack?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:39 AM
mnclassic
Cruiser

I've been using Seafoam at 1 oz per gallon for years on multiple bikes. No problem so far.

I don't use a jack but I do over inflate the tires 4 or 5 lbs for storage and haven't had a problem yet. Remember to lower the pressure in the spring.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:35 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i use sea foam or stabil. both work great, no reason to lift the bike up, just every few weeks move it a bit, to get the contact part in a new spot

Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 AM
cee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the hardware store stabilizer last winter. The bottle gave the amount to use depending on how much gas is in the tank, and has a measuring part on the top of the neck. Think it said to run it for a bit after adding the stabilizer, 10 minutes. Winter has just started here and it is long so I plan to jack the bike up or move once in awhile as it will be sitting in some cold weather for some time. I didn't fill my tank before it snowed but guess that would have been smart to lessen the room for condensation.
Forgot to add, I take my battery out and put it on a battery tender in the basement (the one that automatically shuts off). I don't start the bike after it gets below -10 degC so I don't need the battery in anymore, and the extreme cold weather has ruined a few batteries in the past

Last edited by cee; 11-03-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: battery
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Just did my tank with the Harley stabiliser, yeah just put in roughly half the bottle, did mine at a gas station so it got well mixed while riding home, up to about a year or so ago they used to sell it in a proper measuring bottle but for some reason did away with that.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 AM
blueridge
Tourer
Default stabilizer

Thanks. I think I am going to go ahead and put 1/2 o the Harley Fuel Stabilizer in the tank. A bummer I filled my tank last weekend and did not realize I should have brought the stabilizer with me. but I can ride it a bit more and mix 1/2 of the bottle in when I go fill up or add a little more gas.

Say do you guys fill the tank past the nozzle hole in the gas tank or keep it level with the nozzle hole? Normally when you fill up gas the book recommends not to go past the nozzle hole but for winter storage I guess I can get as much gas in the tank o prevent condensation.

Here is another one I been meaning to ask. Last year someone mention putting a rug or plywood on garage floor and put bike on top to keep corrosion from catching especially if the garage floor is concrete. I do not see how condensation/rust can happen with a garage floor because rust occurs when its humid with salt or so. In the winter time here in NoVA the temp is like 20deg so does rust actually happen in this temp when its not wet?

I will get an old bed sheet and throw over my bike and forgo buying this darn harley cover lol.

Someone (powder guy...what's his name again?) says he starts his bike every 2 or 3 weeks and lets it run for 5 minutes. Is this necessary to do? Would I need to get gas and put in the tank unless this running for 5 minutes does not use too much gas.

Thanks for all your opinions guys.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Psi23
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah just make sure to move it every few weeks to keep the block tire effect to a minimum