Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDC fuel capacity help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012 | 06:18 PM
BKSinAZ
|
Tourer
Default FXDC fuel capacity help needed

Got a 2012 Super Glide Custom and I've noticed something odd with my fuel capacity. On the HD website, it states that the 2012 Super Glide has a 5 gallon fuel capacity. However, I've never been able to put full 5 gallons into the tank.

Take today for example... I ran the bike until the fuel light came on and to the point that the "Remaining miles" gauge showed 37 miles left in tank. I pulled into a gas station to fill up. All I could put into the tank was 3.67 gallons.... actually the fuel shut off at about 3.55, but I kept trying and finally finished at 3.67 gallons.

Is this normal??

Also, how accurate is the Miles remaining gauge on your bike?

thanks in advance

Old 10-29-2012 | 06:28 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

First off HD fuel gauges are not very accurate, the tank holds 5 gallons when bone dry, part of that 5 gallon is the reserve, so if you put close to 4 gallons you are pretty close, myself i use the trip meter.

Old 10-29-2012 | 06:35 PM
Billyram
Tourer

That's about the same as mine. If I run mine down till it says low fuel I may be able to squeeze about 4 gals. in.
Billy

Old 10-29-2012 | 06:40 PM
craig11dyna
Tourer

Yep normal. I have waited until the light comes on and then some and still can only put 3.5 gals in. I don't know if we have submersible fuel pumps in the Dyna tanks like my cars but if we do you don't want to run it to low as the fuel cools the pump.

Old 10-29-2012 | 06:50 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

I've got a 5 gallon tank on my street bob. Low fuel light comes on when I hit 1/4 tank. At that point I can barely fit in 3 gallons. If I run it to empty it will take at most 4 gallons.
When I first bought the bike I ran it dry to get a rough idea what mileage I can get from a tank. I ran it right out,filled up a 5 gallon Jerry can and I couldn't fit all the fuel into the tank.
Best bet is to track mileage,and use the trip meter,because the fuel gauge is useless.

Old 10-29-2012 | 06:53 PM
BKSinAZ
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
First off HD fuel gauges are not very accurate, the tank holds 5 gallons when bone dry, part of that 5 gallon is the reserve, so if you put close to 4 gallons you are pretty close, myself i use the trip meter.

ok... I am going to ask, what I think is a stupid question...

What is a trip meter? oh.. the thingy that tells me how far I traveled?

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 10-29-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-29-2012 | 07:36 PM
Chief21
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ
ok... I am going to ask, what I think is a stupid question...

What is a trip meter?
When you push the top part of the "horn" button it scrolls thru several displays in the speedo, two of them are trip meters. Trip"A" and Trip"B". Some people use the for fuel mileage inbetween fillups and for total trip distance. You can reset them independent of eachother, therefore keeping track of fuel mileage on one, and total trip distance on the other.
Hope this helps. Damn, gotta run. First fire call of what might be a long night.....

Old 10-29-2012 | 08:04 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
I've got a 5 gallon tank on my street bob. Low fuel light comes on when I hit 1/4 tank. At that point I can barely fit in 3 gallons. If I run it to empty it will take at most 4 gallons.
When I first bought the bike I ran it dry to get a rough idea what mileage I can get from a tank. I ran it right out,filled up a 5 gallon Jerry can and I couldn't fit all the fuel into the tank.
Best bet is to track mileage,and use the trip meter,because the fuel gauge is useless.
Mine is the same, but I drive sporadically, ride it like I stole it, so my trip meter is not an accurate measurement for me. When the light comes on, I have about 50 to 60 miles to go if I drive nicely. I have yet to run it dry. My gauge seems to be pretty close.

The more you drive it, the more comfortable you get with distance per tank and know when you had better find a gas station!

Old 10-29-2012 | 08:04 PM
TGWN
Road Captain

Thinking a manual would really shine some light on this one. $60.00 isn't bad for what you could learn.

Old 10-29-2012 | 08:07 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by TGWN
Thinking a manual would really shine some light on this one. $60.00 isn't bad for what you could learn.
It is also a necessity if you are going to get to know your scoot.

Quick Reply: FXDC fuel capacity help needed