Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Softail

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM
KEG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone,my preference is the Dyna so that's what it's going to be. Now just have to decide between the Wide Glide and the Fat Bob!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:30 PM
phatjoe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between the Dyna and Softail, I'm surprised no one mentioned price.

I love the look of the fat boy but it's outside of my price range. I'm looking at a used street bob.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 PM
70copperz
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 39 Posts

I always loved the Fat Boy until I rode one. Being 6'4" my knees where way past the tank and the I did not like the handling. So I bought a Fat Bob and the fit is much better. Good luck!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 734 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by phatjoe
Between the Dyna and Softail, I'm surprised no one mentioned price.

I love the look of the fat boy but it's outside of my price range. I'm looking at a used street bob.
Actually, price is initially what brought me to the Dyna. I really wanted a Softail Custom or a Springer, but I could get a much newer used Super Glide and Street Bob in my price range. I had ridden a few Softails, but the first time I sat on a Dyna with the unbalanced rubber mounted motor I knew that I needed a Dyna. The counterbalanced motor in the Softail just takes something out of it, although some people would consider it an advantage.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Softails are for looks....the Dyna is for riding. Decide if you just want to cruise around or if you are going to want some performance out of your bike. Handling and suspension are the weak links on a Softail. I also hate the balanced motor on the Softails as well....smooth at idle, but at highway rpms the non-balanced motor of the Dyna & touring bikes is smoother. IMO the Dyna line is superior in just about every category, and they are less $.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

+1 totally agreed, we are not sitting at the light enjoying smooth idle lol. We spend most of time time moving at highway speed, don't we?

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
I also hate the balanced motor on the Softails as well....smooth at idle, but at highway rpms the non-balanced motor of the Dyna & touring bikes is smoother

Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 PM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was in your EXACT same boat. I had a 2009 Custom Sportster and my neighbor and riding buddy purchased an 09 Night Train. I absolutely fell in love with the look. I started to want a bigger bike (mostly the 6th gear for interstate riding). I was looking at the Fat Bob, Wide Glide and Fat Boy. When I rode the softail (Fat Boy) it rode low to the ground and a little stiff. When I rode the Fat Bob, It seemed to handle better (wide front tire) than the Fat Boy. When I rode the Wide Glide I immediately fell in love. I like to ride a little hard (take off fast, take tight turns, etc) and the Wide Glide felt like my Sportster on Steroids. Also, I loved the raked out front end on my buddy's Night Train and the Wide Glide has that raked out front end. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Wide Glide and have been loving it ever since. I rode my buddys Night Train a few months ago just up the road. Having been on my Dyna Wide Glide for a year now, the Night Train felt stiff immediately when I started riding it. The looks of the bike are KILLER but I have my Wide Glide Looking just as good now with all the mods I put on it and TO ME it is a more comfortable ride that fits my style of riding. Hope this helps!

Old 10-26-2012, 02:32 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,042 Likes on 659 Posts

Technically speaking. I like the dyna because of a better suspension platform and mids. The softail motors have balanced motors but use inner case balancers with chains. My point is more **** to wear and break

Old 10-26-2012, 02:36 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Newb419
Aesthetically speaking, I love the paint jobs on the Softtails...but to each their own

Yup..some want to look at their bikes, others want to ride them..

Old 10-26-2012, 02:46 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Softail has a nice look and probably a more smooth ride. The Dyna has a rougher ride but is more suited to slam a corner in a hurry. Many folks who go with the Softail want it for the smoother ride because they do a lot of highway I guess. If my Dyna had forward controls I could do as much highway as I wanted....
Also most of the time dynas are cheaper. So to me you're better off with the Dyna because you get a better handling bike, most of the time Dynas are lighter.
Let me finish by saying I love my Dyna

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Softail