Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential buyer, hoping to get a few pics/suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Ziggy711
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential buyer, hoping to get a few pics/suggestions...

I've been wanting to get my own bike for a long time now, and finally, funds will allow it.

I grew up on dirt bikes, and for the past 5 years or so have occasionally ridden my dads Harleys, but it's time to get my own.

I've always preferred the look of the dyna family over any other, and am pretty set on finding a slightly used WG.

Problem is, a stock bike won't work for me. I'm pushing 6'7" with a 38" inseam. Seat, pegs, and bars will have to be changed to find some comfort, but I can't find anyone around here with anything I have in mind.

For what it's worth, I did manage to ride a softtail with a tall boy seat and I hated the fact that it made me sit even higher on the bike. I haven't been able to find something to ride with a seat that sets you back or anything with tall apes.

Any pics/suggestions/tips you guys could give me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long legs should sit you down and back, I have a standar Maverick on my sporty and love it. Other options are C&C or Mean City Cycles, Mean City will rework your seat to your specs and I have heard nothing but good things about them. C&C will work with you on seating posistion as well if you give them a call, again I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!

Biz partner has a WG with some apes, corbin seat and 3" extended forwards. I imagine it will not be difficult to mod a WG to fit you.

Keep looking, it is getting to be a good time of year to get great deals on bikes.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Wykd
Tourer

Not as tall as you but @ 6'2" & 34 inseam I went thru similar concerns.

I sat on a fat boy and softail slim both with mid controls. Didn't like either one and felt like i could lick the skin off my kneecaps. I sat on softail with forward controls and felt much better. So I knew off the bat had to have forward controls no matter what bike I picked.

I thought long and hard about the softail slim, I liked the look but just something was not ME about it. So I wandered over toward the dyna area thru the touring bikes and was really tempted by the street glides, really tempted. As a matter of fact had they not been out of my price range that would of been the model I went with. I didnt feel like a organ grinder was in the back ground saying ride monkey ride! It felt like the right fit for my build, but alas we couldn't meet in the middle on price.

So I stood in the sea of dyna's, while it was what I picked it was not my last choice if that makes sense. I have always liked the dyna line, and my favorite bike was my old 74 wide glide. I dunno how to describe it, but having rode other hd's I just like the feel/control found on the dyna platform. The dyna line has some nice models to choose from also, from the streetbob up to the switchback you cant go wrong. You just have to pick your style. Since I really liked the streetglide I was really drawn to the switchback and its ability to cruise or tour look. But in the end I went with a hard candy green/chromed out streetbob. It wasn't the style I came looking for but it was the style i WANTED once I seen it.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Craigmier
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I am 6'6 230 lbs. I faced same thing as you and went in thinking the Wide Glide was for me. After riding it, the street bob and Fat Bob, I left with a Fat Bob.

Since then i put 3" Kuryakin forward control extensions on it, and that made a HUGE difference in comfort. I can now ride the bike reasonably comfortably. Winter mods will perfect my comfort-14 or 16" ape hangers and a seat that sits me back 1-2 inches.

1-2" inches back will make a huge difference. Doesnt sound like much but I have sat on friends backs that have done similar setups and 1-2 inches in seat height and position is much more than it sounds like. You got it right, Bars, Seat and Pegs will allow your to make your bike fit you. The bonus is it will be so big when you are done nobody will be able to ride it or steal it! None of my friends ask to ride my bike cuz they know they can hardly reach the forward controls!

Good luck

Old 10-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Ziggy711
Stage III

Craigmier...did you like the looks and style of the Fat Bob better, or did you think that the bike actually was a better fit for you?