Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Rocker Grenade Ignition Switch & Coil

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:33 PM
ResidentPirate
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Rocker Grenade Ignition Switch & Coil

I've been considering a horn & coil relocation for some time now (gotta get rid of that cowbell...) and thanks to many forum members I've found the perfect spot to hide that horn. The one thing that has been deterring me from pulling the trigger is that I can't seem to find a gloss black (or black w/ fins) cover for the coil, only chrome... and those that are not chrome are designed to cover the coil as it sits today. Obviously there's a 90 degree rotation when I relocate it to the stock horn position, so those covers that I've found with graphics are out of the mix too... My bike is a green color that makes people think of army green, so I thought that something like a grenade would be great in that spot, even with some patina action going on. After going down that road I find myself at the Harley Rocker, which has the ignition coil & key location right where I want to put my coil! It's not the greatest look in the world in my opinion, but its better than moving that rectangular box between the jugs... So, on to the question.

Does anyone know if I can use the Rocker coil for my 2007 Street Bob? I've also considered having an actual WWII era inert grenade cut roughly in half and using that as a coil cover, but I really don't think its the right size for the application, meaning that I don't think it will cover the entire coil... Any thoughts/suggestions are very welcome! Thanks everyone!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 PM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Wow…………..Just do this.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I am going to surmise that the Rocker coil could be used with your Street Bob ...

Reason being, the motors (96B for the Rocker vice 96A in your Street Bob) operate under the same parameters ... the MoCo has a lot of interchangeable parts for the Big Twin bikes ...

Although the coil cut into the backbone of the frame is another solution to getting the coil moved away from the stock location ... obviously it would be a lot more radical considering all the work it would involve (and especially, cost ... assuming you would not be able to do it yourself) ...

I would take a look at the diagrams of the Rocker (see this link http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....-COIL-ASSEMBLY) and your Street Bob ... then look at the specifications ... see if they match up ... I am thinking they will ... (BTW, stock Rocker coil retails for $98) ...

I know there is a coil relocation offered by DK Custom (a forum sponsor) that a few guys have done ... but, it doesn't have a grenade motif (appears to reuse the stock coil) ... here's link to a YouTube video of it ...

Good luck,

R/
'Chop

Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
ResidentPirate
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HrdNox
Wow…………..Just do this.
Killer look - so the coil is fabbed into the body in this pic? The look is clean for sure - I'd really like to see how those plug wires look with the tank down, ready to roll! Got any other pics?

Last edited by ResidentPirate; 10-22-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Missing the obvious...
Old 10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
ResidentPirate
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
I am going to surmise that the Rocker coil could be used with your Street Bob ...

Reason being, the motors (96B for the Rocker vice 96A in your Street Bob) operate under the same parameters ... the MoCo has a lot of interchangeable parts for the Big Twin bikes ...

Although the coil cut into the backbone of the frame is another solution to getting the coil moved away from the stock location ... obviously it would be a lot more radical considering all the work it would involve (and especially, cost ... assuming you would not be able to do it yourself) ...

I would take a look at the diagrams of the Rocker (see this link http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....-COIL-ASSEMBLY) and your Street Bob ... then look at the specifications ... see if they match up ... I am thinking they will ... (BTW, stock Rocker coil retails for $98) ...

I know there is a coil relocation offered by DK Custom (a forum sponsor) that a few guys have done ... but, it doesn't have a grenade motif (appears to reuse the stock coil) ... here's link to a YouTube video of it ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4EfywOotxU

Good luck,

R/
'Chop
Thanks for your input Chop! I've seen the DK Custom setup and yes, it does reuse the existing coil... If I could find a good gloss or wrinkle black cover I'd just go ahead and use their kit, but that unfinished plastic look on the stock coil really cramps my style...

Old 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,205 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Originally Posted by ResidentPirate
Thanks for your input Chop! I've seen the DK Custom setup and yes, it does reuse the existing coil... If I could find a good gloss or wrinkle black cover I'd just go ahead and use their kit, but that unfinished plastic look on the stock coil really cramps my style...

Two ideas-

The rocker coil can work. You will need to get the Rocker Coil Bracket from HD - part #71775-08

You will need to extend your coil wire from the ECM...it is not long enough on your current wiring harness. Also, you will need to do the rewiring on the ignition.

Or, you can use your current set-up with our Relo kit and get a black cover from HD...If you can't find a Black Cover, get it in chrome and pay $15 to have it powdercoated black.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
ResidentPirate
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Two ideas-

The rocker coil can work. You will need to get the Rocker Coil Bracket from HD - part #71775-08

You will need to extend your coil wire from the ECM...it is not long enough on your current wiring harness. Also, you will need to do the rewiring on the ignition.

Or, you can use your current set-up with our Relo kit and get a black cover from HD...If you can't find a Black Cover, get it in chrome and pay $15 to have it powdercoated black.
lol you make a compelling case Kevin - sounds like I'll be on the search for a black coil cover... any idea if Harley actually does make one in wrinkle/flat/gloss black?

Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just get the chrome one, sand it paint it, prime it, and use it?
If you dont like the chrome just change it, it seems easier than all these mods.
Just my 2 cents.

Lump

Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I fitted one of those grenade coils to my Sporty a couple of years ago. They do look good.

Only thing to watch for is the primary resistance. On the grenade one its 0.5ohm but I'm not sure what it is on your bike, I thought they were all 0.5ohm too but I'm not 100%. Get it wrong and you'll get misfires, the anti-knock won't work and the bike will throw codes.

Last edited by Foxster; 10-23-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

I looked into doing these a few years ago. If my memory serves me correctly, I didn't do this because I didn't have the time to figure out how either the coil is wired up or the ignition is wired up. One of them is wired totally different on the Softail compaired to the Dyna. I really like the idea of relocating both the coil and ignition to this location.

Quick Reply: Harley Rocker Grenade Ignition Switch & Coil