Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 PM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default lower rear shocks

My stock shocks r 12in, what brands are people using for 11in lower rear shocks,,,,,,or how low do people go

I do ride with my girl so i don't wanna scrape

Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 772 Posts

I think the shortest shocks I've seen are 10.5 in. Even with 11 in. if you want to do 2 up riding, to set them up without scraping they are going to give you one hell of a harsh ride.
Your girlfriend probably won't be happy, either.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 PM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what I thought also, I don't only ride solo

Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 772 Posts

My stock shocks were 12's and I went to 11.5 in. Progressive 440's. I only ride solo so I was able to go with the standard springs. The ride was harder, as I suspected it would be, but the bad part for me was scraping stuff in what I thought were not hard corners.
Since I didn't care how the bike looked sitting still I went with longer than stock Ohlins which worked out to be the best fix for me.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Dynaglide68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rs87277
My stock shocks r 12in, what brands are people using for 11in lower rear shocks,,,,,,or how low do people go

Because you have a passenger keep your stock ( Height ) ones , when you lower it it's all for looks and not for comfort , BEEN THERE DONE THAT !

Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,867 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by rs87277

RS,

Anybody that "slams" their bike down with 10.5" or 11" shocks is going to give up two very important things. Those two things are called ground clearance and suspension travel.

Without adequate suspension travel, every time that you hit a nasty little bump or pothole, your shock will run out of room to absorb that hit, and bottom out. When your shock bottoms out, the force of that impact gets absorbed by the tire, the frame, your back, your ***, and your kidneys. Not a very pleasurable experience for you or your girl.

For anyone that says that their 10.5" shocks never bottom out, that's because they've probably got their sag adjusted to near zero. I'd venture to say that the ride quality of said bike would be similar to a rigid frame, or a strutted bike. A miserable experience IMHO, especially if you're riding long distance or two up.

Without adequate ground clearance, you are limiting your ability to lean the bike into a turn…sometimes drastically. Going over any kind of speed bump isn't any fun either.

You haven't really lived until you are cruising along at 80mph down the interstate and enter a nice big sweeping turn, and then hit a nice bump or road/overpass seam. When your shock bottoms out and your rear wheel impacts your fender, that strange sensation running down your leg will either be a bodily fluid or some other waste byproduct, from being bounced airborne out of your seat and almost losing control of the bike. If your old lady is still on the bike after that, she will need a change of clothes also.

Form over function, or vice versa…the choice is ultimately yours to make. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:45 AM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I weight 175lbs... WG is my ride. Never ride two up. I went with Progressive 430 11". I think the bike rides and handles better. My 2 cents.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Jacoblb
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride solo and have the burly 10.5. I did notice it was a little bumpier but not intolerable. After a few thousand miles I couldn't remember what it felt like before. As for turns, I ride it like a cruiser and don't bomb into turns. Havent scraped yet, except for when I went down haha

Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 AM
J.Sizer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My better judgement just told me to keep my mouth shut.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:19 AM
J.Sizer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacoblb
I ride solo and have the burly 10.5. I did notice it was a little bumpier but not intolerable. After a few thousand miles I couldn't remember what it felt like before. As for turns, I ride it like a cruiser and don't bomb into turns. Havent scraped yet, except for when I went down haha
Same here....

Quick Reply: lower rear shocks