Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in installed the aux lights on my switchback today

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:11 PM
El Pescador
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
i installed the aux lights on my switchback today think they look great with the memphis shades batwing..

Man, really well done. This bike is gorgeous. I think I remember from another thread that the batwing is QD?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How does the Memphis Shades batwing attach? Is it permanent or quick detach, and how much hardware is involved? Any modifications to the upper forks to mount?

Nice looking Switchback....you should call it an FLDHU

Old 10-19-2012, 02:47 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your bike looks awesome!

It does look awesome, but wondering why you didn't just buy an ultra to begin with
My thoughts exactly.
I saw your response about the 100lbs, but the glides and touring bikes are better balanced, have the A motor and a lower center of gravity.
They are quite easy to move around.

I have watched a couple women I know move, lean, pick up from the ground, and drive into a tractor trailer ultra classics, customs, etc.. and these chicks after 5'3" 110 lbs.

Anyway it just looks like you are making your own touring bike is all.

To each his own, not knocking it, looks good, I just wonder how the bike will ride and handle with the fairing and stuff as compared to a touring bike designed to handle the dynamics.

Lump

Old 10-19-2012, 02:59 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the lowers, do you have any pics of the other side of those?
I want to find some I can mount a radio in along with a speaker so I can run lowers without my fairing or windshield and keep everything off the bars and still have a radio.

Lump

Old 10-19-2012, 03:19 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
actualy test rode 12' ultra and 12' street glide and with the extra weight when it came to backing out of areas and slow parking lot speeds i just didnt feel comfortable at 5'5" and 150 lbs..

the switchback even with my additions is still very maneuverable, i want to get the bike weighed but i bet i am still 100lbs less when dressed out than the ultra and street glide

If you rode one then you know. Me being 6' and about 50 lbs heavier does make a diff, but I rode that baby up through the needles up by Sturgis and it did better than my WG would have. Never thought I'd exalt a bagger, but that's my next scoot.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking bike. Do you have any pics showing your riding height in comparison to the fairing?

Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Krash26
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Really nice looking mods!!! I love the batwing fairing!!!!

I will be looking at that for my SB down the road, as the cash allows! I've seen the one from Hoppe, the Quadzilla, and that one is a fair chunk of money, but I really like the storage it has and the fact it works with the quick release system on the SB.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:45 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 254 Likes on 133 Posts

1HD1C, can you turn your forks all the way to the stops with the lowers and turn signals installed that way?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:55 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Thanks, Fred. Info added to my database...

Guess maybe I should have looked at the instruction sheet ... but, do you just reuse the stock bullet turn signals from off the handlebars ...? Or, do you have to buy them as a separate purchase ...? The instructions cover how to install ...? (Also, appears the actual lighting is not included with the passing lamps ...)

I think it looks good ... not the first one to go down this road ... (see my 'prototype FLD' ... stripped down and 'dressed' out) ...

For about the past six months I've been riding around sans saddlebags and fairing ... can NOT do that with an Ultra Classic Limited ...

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails in installed the aux lights on my switchback today-auxlights4_zps77f01755.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 04:28 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 190 Likes on 141 Posts

OK.... all of the above questions answered in order

#1 the fairing is quick disconnect and pops right off even with the light kit installed now. so i can switch between the fairing,stock windshield and naked in 15 seconds.

#2 no mods to the forks, the memphis shades mounts replace the factory windshield mounts and are much beefier, although i do know someone that has the batwing mounted to the factory windshield mounts and he says he has had no problems so far.

#3 we are all built different so my 5'5" is different from other people that are 5'5" my legs are short and as i said i wanted to be comfortable maneuvering at slow speeds and also be able to back the bike up without someone pushing me. i just did not feel comfortable on a bike that weighed over 800lbs, i did not feel right backing it up like i did with the switchback, in fact just today i had to back it up an incline and
was able to do so without a problem with firm footing..

#4 the handling on this bike is just INCREDIBLE and i would put it up against any purpose built dresser without a problem, the addition of the batwing,lowers and now light kit did not affect the handling what so ever in fact the batwing with spoiler windshield gave the front end a more firm and planted feeling especially at speed.

#5 the lowers are standard ultra lowers from a 95 with gloveboxes custom fit to an OEM engine guard and i installed the aftermarket vents for more air in late spring and late fall when the temps get warmer in the PM. also i do remove them for the summer
as they are another on and off in 5 minute item.

#6 unfortunately no photos on the bike but i do have 2 spoiler windshields the one pictured is the 9" which i put on for winter because i ride all year round so long as there is no snow or slat on the road, i also have a 6.5" for summer riding. they both work equally well for their intended purpose.

#7 the ends of the signals just contact the tops of the lowers at full lock both ways
so i have installed some of that clear heavy vinyl tape that HD supplies with their flag kits to the tops of each one where they hit just in case i forget when locking the front end or if i ever have to turn it full lock to the right for some reason.

#8 you reuse the stock bullets and will need to buy lights, i had a complete roadking set up i was going to modify to work and then HD came out with this
so i stole the sealed beams off of that set up for now

glidermike, believe me when i say if i was about 3" taller i would be on the street glide right now

Krash
i just couldn't see spending the $1k on the other batwings and then another $300+ to have it painted when i could get the memphis shades which ran me $462 complete shipped and the black ABS from MS is nearly a perfect match for the HD black, if i want tunes i can add the hogtunes MSA-1 for another $280 more and still be under $750 total

Last edited by 1HD1C; 10-20-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: in installed the aux lights on my switchback today