Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple dyna questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007 | 02:51 AM
dynalowride
|
Advanced
Default couple dyna questions

At what rpms do you guys shift? is there a rule like too high or too low an rpm?

Is downshifting without the throttle blipped first bad for the clutch? some people advise that a low rpm downshift witout blipping it first is ok. But downshifts at higher rpms require a blip of the throttle before dumping the clutch. Man I'm so paranoid of burning up my clutch and I haven't even rode it yet, please help.

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:03 AM
jca_54
Tourer
Default RE: couple dyna questions

Don't worryabout burning your clutch. Focus on rear wheel skid. If you're skidding the rear wheel on downshift, you need to blip the throttle slightly. If not, you're OK.

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:24 AM
dynalowride
|
Advanced

Im just curious but why do not worry about the clutch burning up? And when downshifting is it better to let go of the clutch slowly or quickly as possible w/o skidding the rear.

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:34 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: dynalowride

Im just curious but why do not worry about the clutch burning up?
And when downshifting is it better to let go of the clutch slowly or quickly as possible w/o skidding the rear.
dynalow, you can worry about everything if you insist.

How old are you??

What are you ridin?? What situation??

let go of the clutch slowly or quickly?? Depends, question above.

mud

Old 01-28-2007 | 06:01 AM
Oilslick
Tourer

I wouldn't feel happynot using the throttle to match RPM's when downshifting.

It makes it all much smoother and easier on the drivetrain.

Old 01-28-2007 | 10:40 AM
CobraSnake
Cruiser

and hard downshifting will cause oil to come out chrankshaft vents and straight into breather.
thats why i dont downshift i know it sounds cool but its just not good on the bike only reason i dont shift is to speed up not slow down

ORIGINAL: Oilslick

I wouldn't feel happynot using the throttle to match RPM's when downshifting.

It makes it all much smoother and easier on the drivetrain.

Old 01-28-2007 | 10:56 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

I usually give her a blip then downshift to save having to brake her too much. I only downshift straight down to aid braking hard trying to keep the tires from locking up.

Old 01-28-2007 | 01:17 PM
steelcowboy
Road Master

I got to ask same as the other guy why so worried. Short of you getting retarded riding it its going to last a long time. I mean its not gonna last for ever but nothing does. I guess I just have that old mentality it costs to play. But it syours and you baby it as you see fit right. Me I clutch hard I got mine set up to grab hard for those quick launches not everyone rides that way but I'm a straight line kinda guy.

Old 01-28-2007 | 02:25 PM
Timmer
Road Captain

I usually crank my scoot up to about 7500 RPM and then shift. Downshifting, I just rev the chit out of it and dump the clutch.[sm=wtf.gif]Come on dude, just ride the Son of a b1tch. Do you have any experience on 2 wheels? Just feel & listen to the bike, it'll tell you when to shift. Tim

Old 01-28-2007 | 04:00 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

When upshifting or downshifting, you should try and match the rpm's to the trans input speed. It just takes practice. The shift should be almost un-noticable. It should be very smooth with no jerking felt. Don't look at the gauges. Pay attention to your butt, that will tell you when you've done it right.

Use the brakes to slow you down, not the clutch. Brakes pads are cheap and easy to replace.

Quick Reply: couple dyna questions