Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer recommends screamin eagle race tuner for stage 1 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:02 PM
dinolo24
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer recommends screamin eagle race tuner for stage 1 upgrade

Guys, need some advice. I currently own a 2010 fatbob an want to upgrade pipes to some Vance an Hines. I figured I'd get a v& h air intake and use the v& h fuel pak. The dealer is telling me that hey are having issues with aft market components throwing false codes and that they don't recommend the v& h fuel pak, rather I should go with Harley's se race tuner- which of course is pricey. Anyone hear of these false codes, is the dealer just trying to
Push these race tuners real
Hard?

Old 10-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Rfc
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about false codes but I would buy the Power Vision from Fuel Moto which I have ordered btw before I bought the race tuner, my 2 cents.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:22 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

No surprise that they would recommend HD parts over aftermarket. I, too, recommend the powervision from fuelmoto.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:47 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The fuel pak has had some issues and even so only adjust fuel. It depends on how much you are willing to spend, how well you want your bike to run, and what future engine mods you want to do.

The race tuner is a great tuner but only as good as the person who sets it up on a dyno. Most of the time that person doesn't work at the dealership.

Look into TTS also.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I have V&H pipes, Arlen Ness Big Sucker and SE 255 cams and I am running the V&H FuelPak with no issues. Bike runs great and goes like hell with NO pinging or popping.
With that said, one day I will upgrade to a TTS or T-Maxx if any issue pop up, but until then, I ride it like I stole it!

Last edited by Gommee; 10-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 AM
zoerbo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dinolo24
Guys, need some advice. I currently own a 2010 fatbob an want to upgrade pipes to some Vance an Hines. I figured I'd get a v& h air intake and use the v& h fuel pak. The dealer is telling me that hey are having issues with aft market components throwing false codes and that they don't recommend the v& h fuel pak, rather I should go with Harley's se race tuner- which of course is pricey. Anyone hear of these false codes, is the dealer just trying to
Hard?
I also have a 2010 Fatbob. I just put V&H 2 into 2 Big Radius and Roland Sand Designs Turbine Intake. I installed the Xied's, check it out. Lots of guys on here use them: http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/XiED...DK-XiED-NR.htm

I've had it on my bike since July and have had no problems, no back firing what so ever. They are only like $100 bucks compared to the other EFI tuners. I will probably upgrade someday but for now they work great. Takes less than 10 minutes to install.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dealer recommends SE parts, well no surprise there, but as others said,your most versatile user-friendly tuner is the DynoJet power vision. And the best place to get it from is fuelmoto who will always help you out , and send you new maps when you change your set-up.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dinolo24
Hard?
This is a question that has been debated at length on this forum. Hit the search key and look for yourself at all the responses FYI. If you have a stock set-up and don't anticipate any engine changes like cams or other intern engine work the SEPST and the SE heavy breather is the best way to go for max power and torque with a stock set-up IMO. Some people have had good luck with the fuelpak as claimed here, but I'm not one of em. You could try and get by on the cheap and may be happy, and then maybe not. The way I figuredon't throw your money away on a (hope it works ideal). Instead go with the people who built the bike they should know more than anyone else. And where I got mine done all but two of the HD service techs are trained on the Winper 7 dyno unit. My numbers are in my sig.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

I purchased an '03 new and went the dealer route as it was my firrst Fuel Injected bike. By '06 I was finished with the dealer and decided to try it on my own. Just purchased a new '12 in March and bypassed the dealer.

Havent heard many good things about configurability of the FuelPak compared to Power Commander. I would look for a good deal on a Power Commander V or the Power Vision. You can find PCV's for under $300 and load the program tailored for your build a lot cheaper than purchasing the HD race tuner and you don't need to take it back to the dealership. It really depends on how comfortable you are doing it yourself. If you can follow directions and download a program from the internet and hook your laptop up to your bike in the garage, you can download that program to the PCV, it really is that easy. Find a build identical or most similar, download and load. I havent heard of anyone in the last 10 years that has melted down a motor with the wrong program.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SE Pro Super Tuner and TTS Mastertune are the best options out there IMO, but also the most pricey. With either one you also need a good dyno tune, but when done the bike should be perfect. I would recommend a tuner that reprograms your ECM instead of a piggyback device. There are many options that will work, but the above two are the best if you have the $ and you decide close enough isn't good enough. Do it right the first time and you will be happy and not waste $ on other tuners first. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Dealer recommends screamin eagle race tuner for stage 1 upgrade