Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Peg/linkage Loose

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:19 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Shifter Peg/linkage Loose

Last night I threw on some new clutch/brake hand levers. Everything felt fine. This morning I hop on the bike to go to work and the shifter peg feels like its dangling, there's tons of side-to-side movement, the whole shift linkage has tons if play and the clutch feels sloppy.

Any ideas? Remedies?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

loosen the jam nut and move it closer to the mount... if you are talking about flop in the pedal that is not related to you lever replacement

Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior

They have to be related somehow. That's the only thing I did and now the thing is dangling off. I don't k is the whole inner workings of the clutch cable, does it connect inside the primary or could something have snapped loose when I loosed the jam nut?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 AM
macnab_sf
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you threw on new levers, you probably need to re-adjust the clutch to make sure you have the right amount of free play.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM
JRK5892
Banned

your shifter conects to the arm for your trans,

then the inner primary and what not go one outside of that... and the clutch... if you clutch was out of adjustment you pedal would not flop around, it would be your clutch lever... a tight or loose clutch will not cause the pedal to flop... if it is doing that it is either your connection linkage, or an issue with your shifter drum. when you installed your new levers did you simply go slack on the cluch cable and then install then tighten back up? if so that would not affect the play on the pedal

your shifter arm connects to the arm that shifts your drum... if that is flopping around i would say either your arm is bent, bad spring... or your drum has issues... either that or something is just not tight on the linkage

i have added some pics to help you see what i am talking about... i would sugest that you first try to adjust your clutch if you can not see any issues with the linkage... loosen clutch cable all the way, then simply remove the primary cover, break the jam nut loose, unscrew the set screw go back in till you feel pressure, then back off 1/4-1/2 turn... tighen jam nut and adjust clutch cable

Last edited by JRK5892; 10-05-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior

Thanks, at work all day so Probly can't tackle this until tomorrow. But yes, that's all I did. I loosened the jam nut, threw a new lever on and retightened.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:23 PM
JRK5892
Banned

i would bet it is either the linkage or shifter arm/drum

Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior

I guess it was some freak thing..the shift lever might have been getting loose and randomly decided to crap out this morning. Doesn't seem to be clutch related. Still kind of unsure what the actual issue is...as you can see in the video, the lever is dangling super loose. I've fully removed the bolt through the back of the lever, and it won't go back in all the way through, it feels like it tightens up, then goes loose again. Also, I can't get the damn shifter peg off either. As loose as it looks, I've tried yanking it off and it's on there. Maybe just stripped threads on the bolt? Does it look like if I just put a new bolt in I'd be good to go?

Last edited by emerican19; 10-05-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

As Joe Pro stated, it looks like your shift lever is much too loose, almost falling completely off the shaft.

If you can't pull the lever off the shaft, it's probably because the splines (teeth) on the lever and shaft aren't in alignment. Try using a screwdriver and gently spread the crack at the back of the lever (where the bolt goes through) just enough so that you can wiggle the lever off. Then check the bolt hole and the bolt itself to see if the threads are still decent. If good, place the lever at the correct clock position, slide back onto the shaft until the shaft is about even with the outer face of the lever, then tighten bolt snugly (see pic).

On my '010, there is also a rubber spacer on the shaft between the primary cover and the lever (see pic) - this helps to take all the "slop" out of the shifter. Hope you get it all worked out.
~

Attached Thumbnails Shifter Peg/linkage Loose-shifter-.jpg   Shifter Peg/linkage Loose-shaft.jpg  
Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 AM
JRK5892
Banned

the problem is when you are pushing on the lever it is sliding the spline shaft in. you need to open up the lever as described above (dont go nuts, just enough to open her up) and use your hand or a small block of wood on the other side so that when you put the lever on it does not slide back, you do not have your lever on NEAR enough, the reason the bolt will not go on is due to the shaft itself, it is cut out to let the bolt pass though, since you do not have the lever on the shaft enough it will not let that bolt pass though... ez fix man, just get it on there a bit more... good catch you could have lost your shifter lever and then been really screwed stuck somewhere. to get rid of some of the slop you can cut a section of fuel hose or anything really and that will help fill the cap and get rid of that back and forth play... let me knwo if you have any questions

Quick Reply: Shifter Peg/linkage Loose