Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side mount license plate bracket fell off

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM
orange52
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Side mount license plate bracket fell off

Damn. Lost my Road6Customs side mount plate holder, plate, and frame I just bought. Thought I had it good and snug, went for a short ride, got home, GONE! Back tracked but never found it.
I think I'll go with a laydown plate mount next.
Oh, I should mention I didn't mount it as suggested. I drilled a smaller hole and mounted it using the belt guard bolt, which since I didn't use loctite, vibrated out. Thus GONE!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

You are not alone bud, I didn't have the Road6 but made my own, mounted it on the swing arm. The vibration is excessive at the swing arm, especially between 2500-3500rpm. I have turned my head a few times to look at the plate while I was riding, it shakes like hell. One morning I was cleaning bike and found it missing, the belt guard bracket weld actually broke off. If it doesn't break now, it will trust me. I have relocated mine back to rear fender, it doesn't look good but what can I do?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Thats a bummer! I've also been the victim of this! These bikes really vibrate. If its not loctited or made out of beefy metal, it comes loose or breaks off.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:03 AM
xknucksx
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Made mine out of my belt guard as in the DIY mods it handled getting hit by another bike and is still kicking loctite and tighten the hell out of it!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:04 PM
buellrider76
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a road6customs that broke within less than 500 miles. I replaced it with a Fabricator Kevins and have had that on the bike for almost 7000 miles. If you buy one you will immediately see the difference in quality and build.

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index....list&q=license

Old 10-04-2012, 04:18 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

No trouble with my road 6 plate yet but thanks for the heads up I will keep an eye on it

Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the road 6 axle mount and its been great, no issues. Only way it's coming off is if my axle nut comes off and if that happens, I have bigger things to worry about!!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM
orange52
Cruiser

I in no way meant to zing Road6Customs. I liked the mount, it was my own damn fault it fell off. I modified it and mounted it in a different way than was intended.

I do like the ones on the lowbrowcustoms website, the ones with the ammo pouch toolbag. I've got a couple of ammo pouches left over from my time with Uncle Sam, I may have to do something similar.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM
orange52
Cruiser

I looked into replacing the lost parts and decided to try making something myself. At $35 and up for a simple bracket, I had nothing to lose by trying to do it myself.

I started with a beer box and made a template, actually I made 4 and this is the one I liked the most.
I traced the license plate onto the card board, than cut off what I didn't think I'd need. I then kept tweaking the fit until I got it to a point I liked. After tracing the template onto a piece of metal I had lying around I used my grinder with a cut off wheel to cut out the shape.
I then drilled out the plate mount holes and the hole to mount it to the belt cover.

Using two vice grips, I clamped a flat piece of metal along the edge I wanted to bend. I then took a third pair of vice grips with a wide head and bent the metal. I bent long edge first, then the little tab.

I mounted it for a test fit. It's not to bad. I'll tweak it a bit more by hand, then either paint it or plastidip it.

Not to bad if I do say so myself. I found one of my old ammo pouches and tried to mock it up like the ones from lowbrowcustoms, but didn't like how it looked. I like that idea so I may try to come up with something else.

Attached Thumbnails Side mount license plate bracket fell off-1template.jpg   Side mount license plate bracket fell off-2template.jpg   Side mount license plate bracket fell off-6bracket.jpg   Side mount license plate bracket fell off-7bracket.jpg   Side mount license plate bracket fell off-8bracket.jpg  

Last edited by orange52; 10-07-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: I can't freakn' spell!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:29 AM
jricharc
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

What did you use to plug the old holes in the fender?

Quick Reply: Side mount license plate bracket fell off