Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Windshield problem-

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:19 PM
freddyttt
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Possible Windshield problem-

I hardly ride with my Windshield on but today I gave it a shot-

at 30+ mph it almost makes my upper body vibrate(teeth chatter)weird. the shield comes up about chin high. took it off and problem solved.

is this normal? is it to low(chin)?

thanks-

Old 09-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like it's a little low for you. I like having it so my eyes are about 2" higher than the top of the windshield. Whether or not that little bit of difference is enough to give you that bad of a buffeting I don't know. I only have experience with a windshield on my flsts but I rarely run it because I don't like the way it looks. That being said, I've gone from Salt Lake to Spring Hill FL and back 12 times now using the windshield and it definitely makes for a much better ride. Every once in while I will get a good wind coming at just the right angle to give me some buffeting but never too bad...not like the buffeting I get on my SG with the batwing...

Old 09-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sometimes tipping the windshield forward will help or raising it too if you can..I have a memphis shades and it took a few rides to get it adjusted right.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:27 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems normal for the factory shield. Harley's wind tunnel must consist of a guy sitting on a bike smoking a cigarette with a floor fan in front of him. Adjusting the angle and height of that shield will help some but it is a poor design and will always give you problems. I finally put a small sport shield on mine and the problem was solved. I used the one from a Rocker C but there is a similar one in the P&A catalog for the Dyna. I ride mostly interstate now at approx 80 mph with no buffeting at all.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I had the same problem when I put "sport" shield on my Duece. I ended up trimming it shorter and shorter until the buffetting was gone. Now my face is in the wind, just like no windshield, but the shield keeps the wind off my chest. It's a nice compromise. The only other choice I can see is getting a bigger, wider, taller shield and that is something I didn't want.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:06 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Yes you have a windshield problem, the dreaded wind buffeting problem caused by a windshield. Please do a search here about buffeting, there is a ton of info.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 136 Posts

I consider myself to be fortunate. I have the HD quick detachable windshield on my Deuce and it's been just right since day one. While I usually ride without it for commuting and day rides, it goes on for long hiway rides and in colder weather (under 50*). I get no buffeting/turbulence with it and I have noticed no appreciable affect from cross winds and large trucks. (I'm 5' 11" tall)

I much prefer the look of the bike without the windshield though.

Last edited by Deucedog; 09-30-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,978 Likes on 4,170 Posts

Mine about there on me. I'm 6'3" on my tall shield and I look well over but wear a full helmet. You probably just had a lot of side drafts and stuff. These smaller bike can get buffed around from it especially around big trucks. It's normal. Depend on what you want. I prefer to keep my eyes and my shield and helmet have taken some good shots. Until you get use to it you can make it worst. I tend to just go with it since you mind and sight wants to correct for it but if you do you will find out you over correct. I am not making this up. Just like ducedog says he get no buffeting. I am not going to say that but I do not pay any attention to it so it in reality does not exist. However it can get real windy here on the coast and I have been bumped over a few feet in a very short distance and I notice that. The shield can be a pretty big sail in the right conditions. I serious doubt there is much of a cure.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:16 AM.