Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob 1/4 fairing prototype

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:19 AM
dougzcp&f
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdndiesel
Doug, will your email include some directions on what to do if we are painting the fairing ourselves? I have painted everything on my bike and want to continue it. If not i will search around and dig up what I need to do so when I'm done it will look proper. Thanks again for putting in the effort and making this fairing for us Fat Bob owners. I can't wait to get mine in a couple of weeks( I phoned ordered mine last week from you).
I include painting directions with the fairings when I send them out. I list the products I use to take the guesswork out. Not all body shops/painters use the same product manufacturers, but from the list they'll know what the equivalent product is from their manufacturer. For the sake of everyone monitoring this thread - There isn't anything out of the ordinary that these need for paint prep. Light sanding, a good Urethane surfacer/primer, another wetsand with 600 grit, then shoot color and clearcoat. Also included with the directions there are images to give the painter some ideas on how to quickly jig up the parts for painting, allowing both sides of the fairing to be painted at the same time as opposed to doing the 'inside' and 'outside' in 2 separate sessions. Glad to fill a void in the market and always open to more ideas anyone would like to share with me. Hope everyone has an excellent weekend!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:11 PM
groyalc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dougzcp&f
I include painting directions with the fairings when I send them out. I list the products I use to take the guesswork out. Not all body shops/painters use the same product manufacturers, but from the list they'll know what the equivalent product is from their manufacturer. For the sake of everyone monitoring this thread - There isn't anything out of the ordinary that these need for paint prep. Light sanding, a good Urethane surfacer/primer, another wetsand with 600 grit, then shoot color and clearcoat. Also included with the directions there are images to give the painter some ideas on how to quickly jig up the parts for painting, allowing both sides of the fairing to be painted at the same time as opposed to doing the 'inside' and 'outside' in 2 separate sessions. Glad to fill a void in the market and always open to more ideas anyone would like to share with me. Hope everyone has an excellent weekend!
It really was not that difficult. Just have the painters paint everything completely. Learned that the hard way! haha

Thanks again Doug! Love the fairing!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 PM
cdndiesel
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Groyalc, Can you get some more pictures from different angles(including from the riders perspective) of the fairing. I have mine on order and am super pumped to see picturess of one already installed. Damn that looks good!! Awesome job Doug. Finally us Fat Bob guys get to keep our dual headlights and have a 1/4 fairing.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 PM
slvrbck33
Cruiser

Originally Posted by groyalc
It really was not that difficult. Just have the painters paint everything completely. Learned that the hard way! haha

Thanks again Doug! Love the fairing!
How is the wind with the fairing? Any buffering? I'm 6'3 and worry it won't push the wind over high enough.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:53 PM
groyalc
Novice

Originally Posted by slvrbck33
How is the wind with the fairing? Any buffering? I'm 6'3 and worry it won't push the wind over high enough.
I have only had the chance to put on about 100 miles this week due to work issues, but I have not experienced any wind buffeting. I am 6' however and have not tested sitting higher in the saddle. I will try in the next couple of days and let you know.

Originally Posted by cdndiesel
Groyalc, Can you get some more pictures from different angles(including from the riders perspective) of the fairing. I have mine on order and am super pumped to see picturess of one already installed. Damn that looks good!! Awesome job Doug. Finally us Fat Bob guys get to keep our dual headlights and have a 1/4 fairing.
Will do. It may be a day or two. Unable to photos at the moment. I am really happy with it so far. Installed the chin fairing as well, but have not been able to take it out since.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 PM
slvrbck33
Cruiser

Originally Posted by groyalc
I have only had the chance to put on about 100 miles this week due to work issues, but I have not experienced any wind buffeting. I am 6' however and have not tested sitting higher in the saddle. I will try in the next couple of days and let you know.
Sweet, thanks.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 PM
groyalc
Novice

Some pics of the fairing from Dougz.

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob 1/4 fairing prototype-imag1210.jpg   Fat Bob 1/4 fairing prototype-imag1212.jpg   Fat Bob 1/4 fairing prototype-imag1215.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks pretty damn hard! Basically a Ness with a double light hole, which I think everyone was wanting in the first place.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you take a birds eye view of the fairing. I really want one but i have 14 inch evil apes from carlini and dont want to remove them. Do u think it will fit with the apes. Looking for some type of removable windshield, that still looks good on and off. How much did it run you to paint it?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 PM
cdndiesel
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the photos man. That is great, just reinforces the fact I made the right decision in ordering one from Dougz. Can't wait to get it and paint it up for riding season.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob 1/4 fairing prototype